Kelsey Nguyen: Your Go-To Fashionista and Queen of Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The DL:

• Name: Kelsey Nguyen
  • School: Steinhardt ’17
  • Major(s): Media, Culture, and Communication
  • Hometown: The City of Angels (aka LA)

HC: Can you tell me more about your blog, Runaway in LA, and how you launched it?

KN: I started Runaway In LA when I was fourteen and unhealthily obsessed with Abercrombie and Juicy Couture (and at the time, “style” to me meant velour tracksuits and Uggs). Back then, the idea of being a professional fashion blogger was unknown to me — I created my blog as a space to post style guides after being inspired by College Fashion (in retrospect, I’m not sure why a fourteen-year-old was reading a college style blog, but it happened). I was actually afraid to post any photos of me in the beginning just because it felt kind of violating. I mean, I was young and inexperienced, and Runaway In LA was just a weekend hobby I didn’t have to invest much time into. Over the years however, my blog started going from innocent hobby into potential career. I began networking with other bloggers and fostering relationships with brands and realized that this could be a serious venture I would want to devote effort into.

HC: You’ve written for many prominent magazines including Harper’s Bazaar, Bustle.com, and Nylon. What was the most intimidating part about working for such large companies?

KN: Definitely building a professional voice. I’m surrounded by such talented writers, and as someone who is still fresh in the editorial waters, this motivates me to work harder to one day get on their level of expertise.

HC: Can you describe a typical day at work as a fashion intern?

KN: Before anything, I get my daily caffeine fix — usually it’s an iced hazelnut latte because I refuse to drink hot coffee until it truly gets cold (that’s just my Southern Californian side speaking). Then it’s off to checking and responding to emails. Next is the fun part: scouring the web for story ideas. I search everywhere — right on my own Facebook newsfeed to what’s trending on Instagram, and my daily reads like Fashionista, Refinery29, and BuzzFeed. After I’ve settled with a pitch, I do some online research, then it’s writing time. I have to admit I’m a painfully slow writer because I feel this urge to perfect every little detail — it’s sometimes a burden, but it’s also a part of me. Then, it’s just rinse and repeat.

HC: You had the incredible experience of interviewing Miranda Kerr for one of your articles when you were an intern at NYLON. Can you tell me more about this?

KN: I remember getting an email from my boss around 8 PM the night before — could you possibly head up to the UES tomorrow morning and interview Miranda for me? Let’s keep in mind at this time, I was still a freshman, new to the city, and navigating my first serious fashion internship. I felt incredibly fortunate to have been given this opportunity, but I was also having a nervous breakdown inside — I was inexperienced when it came to conducting interviews, and now my first one was going to be with Miranda Kerr out of all people. I Googled “how to interview celebrities,” wrote a laundry list of potential questions, and replayed her Reebok commercial an embarrassing amount of times. On the morning of, I headed uptown to the Reebok store after class, laced up my new pair of (blissfully comfortable) sneakers, and attempted to mingle with the other editors who were there to interview Miranda (I was the only intern). Interviewing Miranda only lasted a few minutes, but to me, it felt like an eternity because I was that nervous. I’m just putting this out there: she is indeed just as stunning as she is in pictures, even to the point where I lost my train of thought because of her mesmerizing eyes.

HC: From your Instagram to your blog, the aesthetics are so refined and professional. Can you share some tips and tricks on maintaining personal image on social media?

KN: I think it’s extremely important you maintain your authentic voice when it comes social media. Conceiving a fake image benefits no one — I mean, why put yourself under the stress of sticking to this image when it’s not even the true you? Also, having a unique eye is so, so vital. When it comes to photography and writing, you have to think: how can I put my own angle on things? No one wants to read content they’ve seen on multiple blogs or social media already — they want a fresh set of eyes on something familiar.

HC: What are your plans for the future? Has blogging influenced this decision?

KN: In the future, I’d love to continue pursuing a career in fashion journalism. I also want to make Runaway In LA into a more professional — and hopefully full-time — career. From what I’ve realized, I enjoy being my own boss and having full creative control over my content, so with time, maybe I can make that happen.

HC: You’ve journeyed to destinations from Venice to Morocco. Which destination has influenced your style the most and why?

KN: One look at my Instagram and recent blog posts can easily give you the answer: Greece hands-down. Santorini, especially, holds a special place in my heart and wardrobe — I just instantly fell in love with the dreamy blue and white color scheme and laid back beach vibes.

HC: With sweater weather and apple cider finally here, what do you think is the chic-est way to style fall layers?

KN: Playing with textures and patterns! I love mixing my knits with fur vests, then adding a leather jacket or camel coat on top. It’ll keep you warm and toasty while still looking polished.

HC: If you could swap wardrobes with anyone in the world, who would you choose and why?

KN: No matter how many times I’ve been asked this question, it always stumps me. I’m also pretty sure my answers are different every time too — it just depends on the current aesthetic I’m digging. But I have to stay true to my roots: Vanessa Hudgens’ bohemian wardrobe is the closet of my dreams. Now, if only we had the appropriate weather for it in NYC… (Honorary mentions: Julie Sarinana from Sincerely Jules and basically every girl on the LF Instagram)

Follow Kelsey on social media:

• Facebook: Kelsey Nguyen
  • Instagram: RunawayinLA
  • Twitter: RunawayinLA
  • Blog: runawayinla.com
  • Pinterest: RunawayinLA
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com
Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein