toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Disney World is the Best Place to Spend Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I have to preface this post by admitting that, as you may have guessed by the fact that Halloween is still over a week away, I didn’t actually celebrate Halloween (October 31st) in Disney World. However I did relish in all things orange, glowing and pumpkin at the happiest place on earth – on September 1st.

Disney kick off their festivities unusually early compared to other tourist spots, but they actually brought the date of their world-famous Halloween parties forward this year in response to popular demand, meaning they kicked off on August 25th. The average temperature for that day was 28 degrees Celsius.

So whilst you’re not going to get crisp autumn leaves, chunky knit jumpers and a weather-beaten face spending Halloween here, you are going to have a whole lot of fun! Here’s why:

1. The décor

Overnight Disney magically transform their famous Main Street USA into a Halloween fanatic’s paradise, with Mickey shaped pumpkin lanterns adorning every street lamp complete with an autumnal wreath. Come nighttime, these will glow in the dark as spooky tunes start to play and ghostly projections begin.

2. The parties

Held every few days across the Halloween season, these run from 7pm-12am and are a privately ticketed event, meaning the regular park-goers get asked to leave around 4pm. They are the only time Disney allow adults to wear authentic costumes dressed up as their favourite characters, usually banned to maintain character integrity for younger guests – you wouldn’t want to stumble upon a convincing Belle lookalike cursing in the queues, would you?

3. The candy

At the Halloween parties, every guest is greeted with a wristband and treat bag filled with complementary candy. You can refill this as many times as you like at various treat locations around the parks, with some guests even being known to bring whole pillowcases to fill up!

4. The treats

In addition to the candy, Disney chefs whip up several haunted dishes each year. 2017 brought guests pumpkin-spiced Mickey waffles, Vampire Mickey brownies and a pumpkin cheesecake dome amongst other spooky seasonal items.

5. The characters

You can’t go to Disney World without meeting Mickey Mouse. However all the classic figures will be donning their best Halloween fare for the event, including Pooh and friends! You can also meet Jack and Sally, Lotso the Bear and plenty of other exclusive characters you won’t find anywhere else!

6. The shows

Disney switch out their regular fireworks show and parade for special Halloween themed displays. ‘Hallowishes’ takes place with the castle as its backdrop, encouraging guests to “scream along” to their favourite scary songs, whilst the ‘Boo To You’ parade has a ridiculously catchy soundtrack complete with Maleficent, Wreck It Ralph and the Headless Horseman on display.

7. The Sanderson Sisters

As if that weren’t already enough, a special Hocus Pocus show guaranteed to “put a spell on you” takes place on the main castle stage three times across the night featuring Winifred, Sarah and Mary. 

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!