This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Do you ever wonder what happens to those artists you used to absolutely love but now seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth? Well a lot of our beloved artists and bands are making a comeback this year – and I mean a Take That comeback, not an embarrassing reappearance leaving you wishing they’d never tainted your positive lasting memory of them:

1.    Coldplay

These guys will always have their songs played no matter what so it might not feel they’ve been gone for very long but their last album, Mylo Xyloto, was actually released 3 years ago. But they have just released their new single Magic from their new album Ghost Stories which has gone down an absolute storm on the radio, with Greg James describing the single’s sound as Coldplay if they were to be a new band out today. All I know is it’s a brilliant song and nothing like anything else out at the moment. Great job lads.

2.    Pharrell Williams

Now I know Pharrell’s comeback has been happening since last year, with him featuring on Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines but his recent performances at The Brits and the Oscars has led to him topping the charts AGAIN with his single Happy. Its popularity just shows there’s nothing better than a great feel good song and his newly released album G I R L is set to be just as popular.

3.    Kaiser Chiefs

It seems Ricky and his fellow bandmates are keen to capitalise off the back of his appearance as a coach on The Voice with the release of their new single Coming Home. For those who are Kaiser Chiefs fans (Unfortunately, I can’t include myself) it should be welcome news.

4.    Shakira

Shakira’s one of those artists, like J-Lo who seems to pop up and then disappear again. But she has returned with her offering Can’t Remember to Forget You with Rihanna. I cannot get enough of this summery, reggae inspired track and Shakira (my ultimate girl crush) and Rihanna look fab in the video.

5.    Enrique Iglesias

Following on from the summer vibe, Enrique’s recent collaboration with Pitbull is an absolute banger. The combination of these two guys just conjures up images of sun, beaches and parties and is exactly what we need to get through the endless coursework.

6.    Lily Allen

Having had a few years off to have a baby, Lily Allen has increasingly returned to the public eye over the past few weeks through various TV appearances, most notable presenting a Brit Award. Air Balloon is her new single that gets a lot of airtime on radio. I’ve never been a huge fan of hers, but Hard Out Here was a master stroke so hopefully we’ll get more of her satirical side in her new material.

7.    Prince

This master of pop is back and his new Michael Jackson-esque single Breakfast Can Wait is a soulful, funky tune and I wouldn’t expect anything less. I could listen to it over and over again and the video has great choreography that makes you wish you could dance.

8.    Paloma Faith

You might have seen Paloma Faith perform her new single Can’t Rely on You on Graham Norton’s show a few weeks ago when he was joined by Matt Damon, Bill Murray and Hugh Bonneville (great episode if you want some procrastination material). It’s a sassy soul song that shows off her strong voice.

9.    John Legend

There’s nothing on planet Earth quite like John Legend’s voice and that is why I’m so glad he’s back. All of Me is a beautiful song with a beautiful video sung by a beautiful man. End of.

10.  Paolo Nutini

Last up is a man whose first 2 albums I know word for word. He allegedly took time out of making music to get over his split from his childhood sweetheart which just makes him even more great. His new single Scream is a sexy, funky track that suits his mature slightly gravelly voice. His other track, Iron Sky from his new album Caustic Love was recently performed by him and was followed with rapturous praise from Adele on Twitter. His album is sure to have yet more gems on it and so April can’t come soon enough.

Edited by Caroline Chan

Esme Dee

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!