Style Blog: 10 Must Haves For Your Winter Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In case you haven’t noticed recently, darkness has been arriving earlier on in the day and the temperature has been dropping. This can only mean one thing… winter is approaching. Unfortunately, we can’t hibernate in the cold months (although many wish they could). Winter doesn’t have to always be about doom and gloom. One good thing about winter is the stylish and warm clothes available. Think cute jumpers, big warm fluffy coats and cute weatherproof boots. Here are ten items of clothing, for when you update your winter wardrobe, which will help you through those cold and gruesome winter days.

1) A Warm and Comfortable Coat – A coat is always essential in winter and just because the temperature is in single figures doesn’t mean you have to wear a huge and unflattering duffel coat. A fur coat is a classic that is usually a fashionable item every winter. They will do the job of looking good and also feeling soft and warm at the same time. Also a classic trench coat will always come in handy and can be used during other seasons too. Sometimes a colourful coat really makes an outfit pop, especially when wearing dark colours for winter.

This coat from Warehouse is lined with faux fur for that extra layer of warmth in winter – Warehouse – £110

A classic trench coat can look good in all seasons and the addition of a leather trim can give it a nice finishing touch – Mango – £69.99

2) Winter Boots – Who doesn’t love boots? Whether you like UGG boots, Chelsea boots or knee high boots, they are always a winter staple. Boots are great for winter because they keep your feet warm and dry on those rainy, snowy and cold winter days. UGG (or a cheaper alternative) are perfect for the cold winter months. Chelsea boots or ankle boots are good because they keep your feet protected when it’s raining but can be used throughout the year.  Also, leather riding boots/knee high boots are always in fashion. They can be worn with jeans or leggings and many celebrities have been spotted wearing them throughout the years.

These heeled ankle boots with a metallic pointed toe would look amazing with a dress when going out or with a pair of jeans for a more casual look – Topshop – £120

Celebrities such as Olivia Palermo, Blake Lively and Rachel Bilson have all incorporated knee high boots in their outfit.

3) A Warm Scarf/Snood – For me scarves are the ultimate winter accessory. There are so many different types of scarves and so many ways to wear them and they always give an element of completion to an outfit. Plus there is the extra benefit of keeping you warm. I always wear dark colours so a colourful scarf will always looks good. Snoods are also very much on trend and are so cosy when it’s cold.

This turquoise knitted snood would be very warm and cosy on a wintry day – ASOS – £12

4) A Jacket/Blazer– It’s usually a good idea to put on layers of clothes during the winter to give you that extra warmth. A jacket or blazer can help keep you even warmer if you wear one under your coat but will also look good when you take your coat off inside. Although leather jackets tend to be slightly pricey, they are very much on trend and can be used again and again, season after season. A good black blazer can be useful too. They can go with any outfit and are great to wear over dresses when going out, especially for all the Christmas parties coming up.

This classic black blazer would make any outfit look more smart and sophisticated – Miss Selfridge – £45

5) Skinny Jeans – Skinny jeans are a wardrobe essential and even if you don’t like them, most people will own a comfortable, trustworthy pair of jeans that they can throw on with a nice top. Coloured skinny jeans are also very fashionable at the moment and can brighten up an outfit. Berry or burgundy coloured jeans would look great this season with a black top and a leather jacket. Recently printed jeans have also been popular with celebrities such as Jessica Alba and Miranda Kerr. However you can always just go for a classic colour of blue though if you’re not feeling as adventurous.

The burgundy colour of these jeans is very on trend this season and would look great with a black top or jumper – Topshop – £38

Miranda Kerr and Jessica Alba have been spotted sporting printed denim

[pagebreak]

6) An Oversized Jumper – This season oversized jumpers are a key trend. Every high street shop has some form of fluffy, big or printed/graphic jumper and they are perfect for a winter wardrobe. They can be paired with leggings, tights, shorts, skirts, jeans and pants and also have the added extra of comfort and effortless style.

This oversized knitted jumper is perfect for keeping warm in winter – Illustrated People – ASOS – £38.50

7) A Cardigan – I love to wear cardigans at all times of the year but I like to wear them during winter most of the time. Cardigans can come in all different shapes and sizes from short to long cardigans, chunky to waterfall and all the others in between. A black cardigan can always come in handy to throw on when it’s cold but it can also look good at the same time. My to go cardigan is a classic black waterfall cardigan that can be worn with jeans, shorts, leggings or a skirt.

A classic waterfall cardigan can be warm and look stylish with many outfits – Label Lab – House of Fraser – £35

8) Leggings – A pair of leggings is an item of clothing that is always handy to have. They can be paired with jumpers, long tops, blazers, dresses and much more. Recently, leather look leggings or leather pants have appeared in fashion magazines, on catwalks and have been sported by many celebrities and fashionistas. The benefit of wearing leather leggings or pants is that they can be really warm to wear and look effortlessly chic with an over-sized jumper and a pair of boots.

These leggings incorporate the comfort of standard leggings with leather look panels for an extra element of style – House of Dereon – £60

9) Socks – Everyone needs a few pairs of cute, quirky and colourful socks to wear in the cold weather underneath their boots. Even if most people won’t get to see them they can still cheer you up when you’re getting dressed in the morning and they will keep you warm at the same time. You could even buy winter themed socks to match your winter wardrobe.

These cute penguin socks will warm you up and have an added bonus of a winter theme – Topshop – £3.50

10) A Cute Bag – All these items wouldn’t be complete without a handbag. How else will you carry around your umbrella for those random spots of drizzly weather? A nice burgundy bag would perfectly complement the dark colours of winter, a classic black bag would go with any or most of your winter outfits. A studded bag could add an edgy element to your outfit and a bag with animal print could make you stand out.

This black studded bag could add an edgy look to any outfit – H&M – £29.99

This leopard print shopper bag would grab attention to a darker outfit – Zara – £59.99

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus! 
Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.