Study Break: An Interview with Hannah Wants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Birmingham DJ Hannah Wants is a well-known name within the house music circuit with her bass-heavy sound that takes from a wide assortment of musical genres such as garage and techno. Her powerful entry onto the scene has won her support from the likes of Annie Mac, Shadow Child, Eats Everything and countless others, as well as ensuring her a fortnightly slot on BBC Radio 1Xtra. Whilst first and foremost a DJ, Hannah has dabbled in producing, teaming with Chris Lorenzo to create well-received tracks such as ‘Rude Boy’ which has received over 1,000,000 listens on Soundcloud. Additonally, Hannah releases a bi-monthly mixtape, available for free downloaded on Soundcloud, which contains 20+ of her current favourite tracks, with each mixtape easily reaching over 300,000 listens. Her Campus had a little timeout with her to find out more about what she’s been up to over the summer, her upcoming tours and how she plans to discover new DJ talent…

Your house music DJ career really started taking off in Ibiza during the summer party season four years ago – what were the main things you gained from that summer?

Experience. I took part in as many DJ competitions as I could, DJd as much as I could and every hour DJing was another hour improving and learning my trade. I also had a really fun summer, met some great people and slowly but surely started to get my name out there.

What has it been like being a recognised female DJ in a male-dominated industry? Are there stereotypes and assumptions you’ve had to combat?

95% of industries are male dominated so it’s genuinely not something I take any notice to or ‘feel’. I just concentrate on what I do and that’s it.

Who or what would you say has had some influence on your musical style?

I think everything influences your musical style to a certain degree. What my Mom and Dad played in the house as a child, where I grew up, friends etc. My musical tastes are very diverse and I think that’s a good thing. There’s so much amazing music out there, it’s nice to be influenced by different places…it makes for your own unique personal style.

How would you describe your summer in three words?

The. Best. Yet.

This summer you completed a US tour – how did the American crowd compare to the UK crowd?

The dancing! Different countries always seem to dance a little different and it’s interesting to watch and learn what everyone’s into around the world. The US crowd was insane, I played 12 gigs in 12 consecutive nights and every gig was great. The crowd were just there to dance and have a good time and that’s what it’s all about!

I understand that you’re soon to be embarking on the Annie Mac Presents tour as one of Annie’s guests – what’s it like to be hand picked and seen as exciting UK talent?

I actually warmed up for Annie’s 2012 AMP tour in Birmingham, which at the time was my biggest gig to date so to be a part of her 2014 tour is an honour. Annie is somebody I respect massively in the industry for both the brand she’s built and what’s she’s achieved. I’m really excited for the tour dates to start.

This will then be followed by a solo tour – how does it feel to know that people are coming out specifically to see you?

Entering into my first ever UK tour will be the start of my brand, WANTS. I’m really passionate about DJing and so to be hand picking venues and line-ups is something I’m really hyped about.

I’m also going to be looking to find some new up and coming DJ talent for my tour. The industry has changed so much over the years and I personally know how hard it can be to catch a break or an opportunity as a DJ without making music also. I’m aware my collaborations have helped to propel my DJ career but I don’t think this should be obligatory. Making music and DJing are completely different skills and finding some raw DJ talent is something I’m really excited about. I’ll be releasing more details via my Facebook page within the next month or two about how to take part in my search.

Is there anywhere you’re particularly excited to play in the upcoming months?

The Holy Ship! It’s a cruise ship that departs from Miami on January 3rd and sails around the Bahama’s for 3 days with parties both on the ship and on private Caribbean Islands… It’s gonna be a dreeeeeeam!

Who are your current favourite artists or producers?

London Grammar, The Weeknd, Spooky Black, My Nu Leng, Shadow Child, Mak & Pasteman.

What has been your most memorable set to date and why?

That’s a question too hard to answer. I couldn’t pick just one, I’ve had my best, most favourite year to date and I’ve been fortunate enough to play numerous sets in different countries that I’ll never ever forget.

What else do you do when you’re not touring?

When I’m not touring I’ll be at home and I’ll mostly be working. I don’t ever have much time off but when I do I love nothing more than to just chill out on the sofa.

Quick Fire Round

Name 3 dream dinner party guests, dead or alive, imaginary or real… Richard Branson, David Attenborough and Stephen Fry.

Cats or dogs? Dogs. I work for and regularly donate money to a charity that I’m involved with called The Northern Ireland Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue which rescues, cares for and rehomes the most misrepresented and mistreated canine breed. I absolutely love staffy’s and I can’t wait to one day own one myself (when I’m settled in one location later on in life that is!).

Most treasured possession… My trainer collection!

Biggest guilty pleasure… My strange love for chicken and rice.

Worst habit… I’ve been told I can be highly annoying. I obviously don’t agree.

The motto you live by… Work hard and be nice to people.

Name three tracks you’ve recently became obsessed with… Cassie – Me & U (Village Bootleg), Spooky Black – Reason, Jon Phonics – Domino Effect.

Hannah Wants’ latest mixtape, 1114, is to be released on 30th October 2014 – head to her Soundcloud to check it out!

To find out more about Hannah Wants, check her out on FacebookTwitter, Soundcloud and her website.

Edited by Sam Carey

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!