Review: Editors – IN DREAM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Orchestral and commanding, but without the ferociously punchy Interpol vibes that characterise the songs all fans love, the band’s latest album occasionally falls a little flat.

3 STARS

Hearing Tom Smith’s haunting voice announce ‘I’m a go-getter’ seems to be the perfect opening to Editors’ newly evolved sound. Smith’s vocals will never get old: we hear nothing but the velvet darkness of the band’s original sound in that deep drawl. Yet even with an element of familiarity secured, newly released IN DREAM may be moving too far from their roots to be accepted by old fans. Songs like ‘The Law’ have some merit in their quiet crescendo, and the album immediately becomes undeniably dream-like; Smith’s lulling vocals are simultaneously eerie and disturbing. ‘Our Love’ has serious 80s vibes, whilst the chorus of ‘Salvation’ is certainly a highlight, with a romantic string intro and dramatic piano that build to an angry chant of a chorus.

Upon the whole however, the intentional dream-like slowness of the album doesn’t always capture anything magnificent. At times it’s powerful and paced, but even with the influence of 80s electronica and experimental synths, it occasionally plays out with a dull monotony. Some might call this subtlety, but it appears weirdly subdued and muted in places. We’re left longing for the fast paced drum beats and raw, shrieking guitar that make classic songs like ‘Munich’ so sensational. IN DREAM is undeniably orchestral and commanding, but without the ferociously punchy Interpol vibes that characterised the songs all fans love, the band’s latest album occasionally falls a little flat.

It’s a successful album for those in favour of their new, more dramatic and indulgent sound. It will capture the attention of many, no doubt. However, if you’re looking for the untamed “dark disco” band of ten years ago, don’t go looking IN DREAM. The triumph of their older work is missing, which is shame: but Editors seem to be persistent in their attempt at evolution.

Image sources:

http://www.nmag.es/category/texto/actualidad/lanzamientos/

http://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/editors/news/editors-announce-new-album-…

Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.