This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

‘Tis the season to be jolly, and also to eat! So when I was invited to Annie’s Burger Shack I jumped at the opportunity– what student doesn’t like a burger fully loaded with delicious toppings and served with a mountain of fries?

It’s taken me nearly a whole year since Annie’s opened at their new Lace Market venue to sample their endless list of gourmet burgers, sides and shakes. And after hearing countless reviews about how amazing their burgers were, I was expecting great things…

Annie’s is the perfect place to go if you have a soft spot for Real Ales and lovingly crafted American burgers, or if you’re just looking for a ‘Man vs. Food’ style challenge! The décor of the restaurant makes for a relaxed dining experience and the perfectly spaced tables means you can enjoy your food without feeling over-exposed as you try to strategically tackle the gigantic burgers.

Annie’s even caters for vegetarians and vegans, offering up 100% vegan burgers. As well as this, the restaurant offers a variety of unusual side sauces, ranging from American Mustard to Mississippi Style Burger sauce for an extra 75p each. Of course, if you’re not in the mood for a burger you can always try one of their alternative options, from their Homemade American Style Chilli to their Long Island Hot Dog served with a toasted bun and skinny fries.

But my friends and I had all come to try one of their famous burgers, and after ‘umming’ and ‘ahhing’ for about 15 minutes to decide which one would best satisfy our empty stomachs, we chose The Fajita, The Sherwood and two Boston Nibblers – one of which was double stacked!

The Fajita Burger: topped with sautéed Mexican spiced onions and peppers, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, olives and American style cheddar cheese. Served with chunky potato wedges.

Don’t attempt to pick this burger up, as you will definitely end up with half of it on your lap!

The Sherwood Burger: topped with sautéed broccoli ‘trees’ and melted American cheddar cheese. Served with deep-fried sweet potato chips.

Not a traditional burger topping, but if you’re a fan of broccoli and looking to get one of your five a day than this is the perfect choice!

The Boston Nibbler: Known as the biggest burger, it comes with Swiss and cheddar cheese slices, grilled pineapple, two bacon rashers, American burger sauce and onion rings. Served with curly fries.

If you’re feeling especially hungry you can double-stack your burger.

Warning: this might result in a food coma!

My only criticism was that the mini glass bottles of Coca Cola were disappointing, as when you’re trying to get through a mountain of food they don’t go very far. So my tip would be to order a Pepsi, as for an extra 20p, you’ll get a whole pint.

Also, I made the rookie error of turning up to our booking starving, so after waiting for 45 minutes for our food I was practically eating my napkin! Still, Annie’s website does warn that  ‘we are not about fast food, we are for the experience’, so despite the 45 minute wait, it was worth every bite.

If you’re looking to eat here for dinner anytime soon, make sure you book well in advance to avoid disappointment. Or if you’re willing to make it a lunch date, you can often turn up and there will be a spare table with your name on it.

I’ll definitely be making a return visit, but it could be a while before I burn the last burger off!

Sources: http://www.anniesburgershack.com

Edited by Nicole Jones 

Student at the University of Nottingham
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!