This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Scrolling through my Instagram recently has involved being bombarded by the hashtag #health. Gone are the days when you would share a picture of you gorging yourself on a massive piece of chocolate cake; this has now been replaced by the hysteria surrounding the green smoothie. At first this annoyed me, partly because it just made me feel guilty about my own diet; however that was until I found the treasure that is Alley Café in Nottingham. It is the epitome of health, it is the ideal place to capture that Instagram worthy food, and it is glorious.

Alley café is a vegetarian and vegan bar which prides itself in providing us with our nutritional needs whilst maintaining deliciousness. From the morning fruit smoothie matched with a tasty breakfast dish to the evening alcoholic beverage paired with a pizza or burger and a tasty homemade cake treat, this café bestows on us all the food and drink variety we require, enabling us to remain in this tasty abode for an entire day and want for nothing. So, I mentioned pizza and burger and perhaps hear you say this is not health food. This is where the imaginative and creative spark of Alley Café shines. Forget that heavy bloated feeling that you get subsequent to devouring a standard vegetable feast pizza, Alley Café offers an alternative to this feast and feeling: a tortilla based pizza resulting in a satisfied feeling. The reduction of bread is not a reduction of taste, it simply means that the meal is light but no less scrumptious. Choose from three toppings, one of which includes not-ham baconesque. Okay, I understand that to those of you who are keen meat eaters that this meat substitute may sound less than appealing, but really it is better than perhaps it may sound (plus think of the animals).

For a reasonable price you can indulge yourself in the natural foods and be immersed in the entertainment of ‘Nottingham’s most innovative acts’ or you may even catch some musical maestros at the open mic night. It is one of those places that is genuinely suitable for all ages, look to the left and you will see a family, look to your right and you will see an awkward first date between students. It is an atmosphere that invites all, vegetarian or not, there is no prejudice here (even if you do enjoy eating a chicken).

It is truly a hidden gem, located upstairs through a mysterious alley (aptly named) opposite Nando’s (probably a location known more widely amongst us students). So, you’re walking past Nando’s and feel hungry, but say no to Nando’s and yes to Alley Café. Indulge in the taste sensation guilt free and get that camera ready for the perfect Instagram shot.

Edited by Harriet Dunlea

Sources

http://alleycafe.co.uk/

http://theraddadcollective.blogspot.co.uk/

English student at the University of Nottingham
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.