Wellness > Sex + Relationships

One Night Only: University Students and a few more Sex Confessions (Part 2)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Her Campus Nottingham brings you the second instalment of University students divulging about one nights stands…

Student #9

Straight female

Number of one night stands? 4

In general, back to yours or theirs? Always the other person’s because the majority took place in halls, where I had a single bed and thin walls.

Worst thing to have happened on a one night stand? This was my first ever one night stand in Freshers’ Week when I went back with a guy off my course. I was really drunk and it was only whilst we were having sex that it dawned on me that he was actually quite well-endowed. It was hurting quite a lot but I was drunkenly like, ‘let’s just keep going’. Afterwards, I felt kind of damp and I looked down to see a lake of blood on his bed. I was like ‘you have bludgeoned me’ and then we had to awkwardly strip the bed together. I couldn’t really walk the next day. Turns out he’s also done the same to two of my friends. But it all worked out because now he’s one of my best friends.

Most tragic morning after experience? I’ve had some ones where there was just no morning after, like when someone ejects you out of their flat at great speed. Straight after, one guy was like, ‘I’ll call you a taxi, you can leave now’. It was like 4am. Plus, he still has my pants.

One night stand sex vs. relationship sex? Relationship sex is better because you get some practice and there’s an emotional connection. One night stands can be very liberating and it’s fun not to have the attachment of drama and whatnot afterwards, but sometimes you feel like a dirty slut the next day.

If you carried around a one night stand kit, which three essentials would be inside it? I know from waking up in the morning and looking in the mirror, some make up to touch up. Maybe a toothbrush or chewing gum. And extra pair of pants – going home without pants is not as liberating as it sounds.

Student #10

Gay male

Number of one night stands? Absolutely no idea. 25ish. Let’s say 20 to be safe.

In general, back to yours or theirs? Always back to mine. I hate staying in other peoples’ beds. Also, no tragic walks of shame.

Worst thing to have happened on a one night stand?  Not having condoms. Imagine going home with the cutest guy you’ve ever seen and then not being able to go past oral.

Most tragic morning after experience? When they don’t want morning sex.

One night stand sex vs. relationship sex? New is always exciting but obviously you lose out on some of the finesse that you have with someone regular. But then you’re drunk so it doesn’t matter.

If you carried around a one night stand kit, which three essentials would be inside it? Well, condoms and lube are pretty essential. And if I was going to someone else’s, then a free taxi ride home.

Student #11

Straight female who would always be open to the idea of a same sex relationship

Number of one night stands? 10

In general, back to yours or theirs? I am horribly out of practice as I pulled out of this game a long time ago but in general, back to theirs. It’s easier to leave the situation in the morning or even after you’ve had sex to avoid morning awkwardness.

Worst thing to have happened on a one night stand? When housemates try and interfere, it definitely makes things awkward. One guy’s housemates started to blare out ‘Let Me Love You’ by Mario whilst we were having sex. Another time, I was absolutely smashed and leaving his at about 4am and fell down the stairs into a heap in the hallway to look up and see the guy’s whole house still awake staring at me. I just got up, ran and didn’t look back.

Most tragic morning after experience? Probably waking up and realising I’d come on my period unexpectedly in the night. I initially tried to take the bedsheet off without waking him up (obviously failed) so I left sharpish and texted a grovelling apology. The guy actually became a regular booty call so he can’t have been that bothered but it was so embarrassing at the time. I’ve heard similar stories from the male point of view on this and I genuinely think it’s so horrible when boys slate girls for it. It’s motherfucking nature pal.

One night stand sex vs. relationship sex? Definitely relationship sex. I haven’t had a one night stand in over a year and don’t really plan on having one. One night stand sex is never good. It takes time to figure out what you both like, and for me, sex is about making a connection and being close to a person you are or could be in love with. One night stands just didn’t make me feel good about myself and they aren’t worth bumping up the numbers for. That being said, I think there’s a certain thrill that comes with a one night stand, providing you wake up in the morning and they’re still that 10/10 you got in the taxi with.

If you carried around a one night stand kit, which three essentials would be inside it? Clean knickers, a hair band and condoms. Practice safe sex, kids.

Student #12

Heterosexual male

Number of one night stands? 2

In general, back to yours or theirs? Mine because it was closer to town both times.

Worst thing to have happened on a one night stand? Too drunk to perform.

Most tragic morning after experience? The first time, waking up at 5am and just sitting at my desk, shell shocked. I’m a delicate flower.

One night stand sex vs. relationship sex? Relationship. Less alcohol involved. You know what the other person likes more.

If you carried around a one night stand kit, which three essentials would be inside it? Toothbrush, toothpaste, condoms. To be used in conjunction.

Student #13

Straight female

Number of one night stands? Like, 5? These are people you don’t sleep with again, right? Like, run off home and forget they ever occurred.

In general, back to yours or theirs? Theirs, I don’t like the idea of my housemates potentially hearing.

Worst thing to have happened on a one night stand? The guy had to leave to vom, as in fully sprinted to the bathroom. Unsurprisingly, it kind of ruined the moment.

Most tragic morning after experience? Woke up and realised that the guy I had slept with, though gorgeous, was about 5 foot tall. My friends ripped me for about a week saying I had slept with a midget.

One night stand sex vs. relationship sex? Relationship. You can work out what they like and be less drunk and fumbly. Plus, you can have it anytime on call.

If you carried around a one night stand kit, which three essentials would be inside it? Condom because I’m an angel like that, taxi money to avoid the walk of shame and a new pair of underwear.

Student #14

Straight male

Number of one night stands? 9 or 10

In general, back to yours or theirs? No preference, you just do what you do.

Worst thing to have happened on a one night stand? One time, it took like three johnnies before I managed to fit one on properly, that’s pretty bad. Also, a condom split once when I was shagging and only realised afterwards.

Most tragic morning after experience? A girl came over to my house and she wasn’t putting out and I had no idea why. She stayed over and left the next morning. I went back upstairs and noticed that there was some blood on the landing. So I followed the trail and it went from the landing to my bed. She had perioded all over my bed. And then I had to explain to my mum what it was and said I had been playing football and had a scabby knee.

One night stand sex vs. relationship sex? I’d say relationship because it’s more meaningful and with someone you genuinely want to be with. Obviously, it’s circumstantial though.             

If you carried around a one night stand kit, which three essentials would be inside it? A johnny obviously, some spare change for the bus and probably a jumper so that it’s quite subtle.

Student #15

Bi female

Number of one night stands? 8

In general, back to yours or theirs? Mine. I’m lazy.

Worst thing to have happened on a one night stand?  Accidental anal.

Most tragic morning after experience? I wasn’t expecting to have sex that night so wore my most comfortable but hideous granny panties. And then couldn’t find them afterwards so some man somewhere is the proud owner of the fugliest pair of knickers to grace the face of the earth. The lesson I learnt was, in the hallowed words of Boy Scouts, always be prepared.

One night stand sex vs. relationship sex? One night sex, much more fun. Try all the different flavours.

If you carried around a one night stand kit, which three essentials would be inside it? Make up wipes, condoms and money for a taxi just in-case I somehow ended up at the other person’s – why would I walk home in last night’s clothes? Am I a dickhead?

Student #16

Straight male

Number of one night stands? 1

In general, back to yours or theirs? Back to hers just out of convenience.

Worst thing to have happened on a one night stand? Needed to fart during it and sort of holding it in, whilst also trying to shake out a cramp in my leg.

Most tragic morning after experience? Realised she was old. As in, her toddler wandered in the next morning.

One night stand sex vs. relationship sex? Relationship sex because you know your partner and you know what’s best to do. Whereas, in a one night stand, you’re gonna be drunk and fumbling around, it’ll never be amazing.

If you carried around a one night stand kit, which three essentials would be inside it? Condom, safety first. Mint. Some sort of fragrance to make sure everything smells okay.