Lizzie Smith – Latin and Ballroom Team Captain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Lizzie Smith has been Cha-Cha-Cha-ing her way through life ever since she spotted that Freshers’ Fair stall last year. She’s all about Ballroom and the fabulous lifestyle it offers. 

How did you get involved?

My mum put me in for my first Ballroom dance class at the age of 3, and since then I’ve been Cha-Cha-Cha-ing my way through life. When I came across LBSS at the Fresher’s Fair last year I was desperate to join, simply so I could spend time with people who wouldn’t roll their eyes when I got super excited over hearing ‘From Len, a 10’. I went along to the team pairing up session, where I got partnered up with the diva of the team – Dimitri. The friendly environment of the University circuit was a breath of fresh air compared to the fiercely competitive National League Circuit that I had previously competed on. I decided to go for TC because I wanted to give new members the same amazing first year that I had because of being part of the Society. As well as this, because of my experience in competitive dancing, I wanted to be able to help Beginners and Novices the confidence they needed to become sassy senors and senoritas – something I think I have achieved, along with the other TC, James.

As TC, what’s involed in your role?

As TC, I’m in charge of recruiting new team members, organising the inter-varsity competitions held across the UK as well as being at practises to help team members improve their technique, stamina and ‘competition saviness’. I also get to run the ‘Girls Hair and Make-up Social’ at the start of each semester, which is always good fun and helps people new to the team or competitive dancing feel confident and prepared when they step out onto the dancefloor for the first time.

What sort of things does your society get up to?

We have a world renowned professional coach who comes in once a week to run classes for Beginners and Improvers. It’s a great way to branch out and make friends with people who aren’t in your halls or on your course. This year our Social Secretaries have organised a week trip to Spain consisting of dance workshops, nights out and catamaran sailing, which is set to be absolutely amazing! Most weekends I organise for the team to go to another university for an inter-varsity competition, where the dancers get to dress up like the stars of Strictly. At the end of February, we are off to Blackpool for the weekend for the University Nationals, and are hoping to dominate! Whether you want to become a world champion dancer, or just learn a little Cha Cha Cha to whack out in Ocean – there’s a place for everyone in the society.

Any fun stories/ memories of your time in the society?

My funniest memory is from the first competition I entered in first year with the team. One of the ‘class clowns’ of the society – Ricki – had entered the Paso Doble (yes, you do get to learn the Paso Doble!) with one of the best dancers on the University Circuit. While she was strutting around channelling her inner flamenco dancer, Ricki was in the loo completely unaware he was supposed to be on the dancefloor. After having half the team looking around for him, he eventually came running out the toilets with his trousers round his ankles straight onto the dancefloor, and spent the first half of the dance trying to pull his trousers up while not dropping his partner while she flung herself around him. Rumour has it someone even saw the grumpy old judge crack a chuckle at Ricki’s expense. 

Are there opportunities for others to join coming up?

We have a new 8 week course for Beginners starting on the 26th January. You can sign up for them on the SU Societies website, and will be running ‘pairing up sessions’ for people who want to come with us to competitions and strut their stuff. On the University circuit, there is a rule that dancers can only compete in Beginners if they have danced for under 1 year, so even if you think you’ve got two left feet, absolutely everyone who will be dancing in University competitions from now until the end of the academic year will have only been dancing since September – so you won’t stick out like a sore thumb! If you’re interested in signing up for classes or joining the team,  email society@lbss.org.uk for more information, or go to our Facebook page!