Life Blog: Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

With graduation looming around the corner, what is going to happen once your Nottingham bubble ‘pops’? It is time to start thinking ahead for those of you who are still living in the moment.

Many Nottingham students entered university straight after leaving school. If you have reached your final year without having experienced an unforgettable ‘gap yah’ volunteering in Africa, or a year abroad studying in South America, perhaps taking some time out to travel after graduation would be an appealing option. With plenty of organised programmes, it has become increasingly popular for recent graduates to explore the globe and immerse themselves in another culture (improving their CVs along the way) before the job-hunting process begins. Once you get a foot on the career ladder your holiday entitlement could become pretty limited, so this is a good chance to get the travel bug out of your system!

Perhaps the thought of leaving your student life behind is too daunting and you would like to further your academic pursuits to gain an advanced qualification or training. Many career fields require you to go that extra mile, for instance print journalism, broadcasting, law or teaching. It is not too late to apply for a master’s programme or diploma; in fact many of the deadlines for postgraduate courses are within the next few months. So get the ball rolling: use the internet as a starting point, attend some open days and make sure to use the Careers and Employability Service which is located in the Portland Building. Due to the popularity of these appointments, you may have to wait a few days or even up to a week to get a slot, but they are extremely useful for discussing further education options and the specific career areas open to you upon graduation. Additionally, you can choose to have your CV, cover letters and applications reviewed.

Or maybe you will be ecstatic to discard your History books, Spanish tests and lab coats the moment that your mortarboard (graduation cap) hits the sky. Your life as a student will officially terminate as you look forward to joining the work force as soon as possible. For the lucky ones, you could already have a job or grad scheme lined up and graduation day couldn’t come any sooner. But for the rest, you may have to be prepared to undergo a few more internships before a job offer comes your way. 

So plan ahead and consider which direction you will take. There are more important decisions for final year students to mull over than what to wear to the party on Friday night. Continue building up your CV and keep your options open. But, most importantly, make sure to enjoy your last chunk of life as a student and work hard to achieve the final grade you deserve. Take advantage of all that the university has to offer. Even if you are eager to move on with your life and cannot wait to start the next chapter, you will always remember this period and the unique bubble that is Nottingham University.

Anna is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham. She studies American Studies and completed a year abroad at the University of Illinois, USA in 2011/12 where she found her passion for Her Campus by working for Her Campus Illinois as a news editorial intern. After graduating, Anna wishes to pursue her dream of moving to London (or even the US eventually!) and working in something creative and fast-paced, whether it be editing, fashion journalism, PR or publishing. Hobbies (/obsessions) include fashion, shopping, traveling, music and, most importantly, food.