Just Olivia – Vlogger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Olivia Wellings is a 21 year old, 2nd year History student who simply loves fashion and beauty, and has a keen interest in film production. With the growing popularity of her blog and vlog, Just Olivia, it’s the perfect time to get to know her.

How would you describe vlogging?

Vlogging is basically blogging, except instead of writing about your subject you make a video about it! You can vlog about absolutely anything, from opinions on films, to makeup, to politics!

What or who inspired you to start your vlog/blog and why?

I have always loved writing, and blogging was just a natural hobby for me to pick up. I chose to write about beauty and fashion because it has always interested me, and is light hearted and fun! But I also spent far too much time watching vloggers on Youtube like Zoella, Lily Melrose and Jenna Marbles who seemed to be having a lot of fun, and seemed so confident! I always liked the idea of making my own videos and one day I sort of just thought, if they can do it, why can’t I? It took me a long time though to get the courage (and equipment!) to actually start!

Were you in any way apprehensive about putting yourself out there through this type of media? If so, how did you overcome it?

Of course! With blogging it is easier to detach yourself from what you put out there, because it is written, and to a certain degree anonymous. But it was terrifying making my first video! The thought of putting my personality out there to be judged by everyone was very daunting and I had these images in my head of my friends and family laughing at me, and no one watching what I made, or worse people watching and being horrible about me. But everyone was super supportive and lovely! It was scary, but I just bit the bullet and did it because I knew it was something that I would enjoy, and once my first video was up I realised people are much more lovely and supportive than I ever would have thought.

How do you think this will be helpful to your future career?

I want to work in film and television production, so the fact that I can create content on my own from start to finish will hopefully seem impressive! If not, then at least it is an interesting hobby to have.

You study history which is quite different from what you look at in ‘Just Olivia.”, did you ever consider doing a fashion degree? Do you think they correlate in any way?

I never did, no. I have always viewed fashion as a hobby, and I would be too scared of taking the fun out of it, maybe. Also I have always loved History and it is good, I think, to have something traditional degree wise. I think doing my degree has certainly benefited my writing skills, and the fact that History students have very few contact hours has meant I have the time to run my blog and YouTube channel!

Vlogging is still a relatively new type of media and is quite unconventional, what do you think are its possibilities?

They really are endless. There are some vloggers, such as Tanya Burr and Dan and Phil, who are becoming the new celebrities, and I think it means that anybody who wants to get their voice heard about any subject has more opportunity now to do so than ever before. I think this is a very exciting time for media, because the Internet is so accessible and still is new and growing, that absolutely anyone has a chance to make a difference. 

Can you give us some tips to those who might be thinking of starting their own blog/vlog?

First of all you have to realise that once you get started it will get easier and easier, so don’t let any anxieties stop you – when you start no one is watching or reading so you have a chance to learn and hone your skills without the fear of being judged. Secondly, figure out a good name which is unique, but doesn’t tie you to one subject matter. For example I chose ‘Just Olivia’ and not, ‘Olivia’s Makeup’ or something, so that if I want to make a video about zombies (which I did at Halloween!) then I can. Thirdly, enjoy yourself! There is no point putting unnecessary pressure on yourself, especially whilst you are still at university. If you aren’t enjoying the content that you’re making, chances are no one else will either. If you need to take a break, and you miss a few weeks, it really isn’t the end of the world. When you are just starting out vlogging and blogging should be a fun hobby, and not an added stress. As long as you are enjoying yourself you can’t really go wrong! In terms of getting views, it sounds cheesy, but get your friends and family to watch or read! Trust me people are very nosy about their friends, and once they have been impressed they will tell their friends, and before you know it your blog or channel is growing! Perseverance is key though, as nothing happens over night.

Visit her blog: http://www.justoliviahere.blogspot.co.uk

And her vlog! https://www.youtube.com/user/JustOliviaTV

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad. 
Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.