How To: Be Successful at Freshers Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Freshers Fair is a huge marquee full of information, societies, students and freebies. Here are five tips on how to reap the benefits of this three day bonanza!

The Basics

Freshers Fair is located by the Sports Centre on University Park, it is a big white tent that’s hard to miss – follow the music, provided by the student radio station, URN. It’s open from 9am – 5pm from Monday 23rd until Wednesday 25th September but be warned, due to bad weather last year the fair was shut! Keep an eye on the Students’ Union social network sites to keep updated should the weather be bad.

1. Go Early

Freshers Fair is full of freebies but if you leave it until Wednesday afternoon you’ll find a substantially smaller amount of pens, sweets and pizza left for you to take home. We suggest that after you’ve finished registering and any introductory lectures that you go down for a mooch. Plan to spend at least an hour there, more if you’re with hall/classmates who will want to see different stalls.

2. Fill Your Pockets

Have no shame in picking up whatever there is to offer, as well as leaflets and vouchers the freebies seem to get better each year. Stock up on pens, highlighters and pads of paper before taking goodie bags from companies* such as Dominoes, DG Cars (taxi vouchers), Trent Barton (bus card) and Lidl.

3. Talk To People

When you arrive in Nottingham you’ll know few or no people, so joining societies is a great way to meet people with similar interests to you. There are over 200 at UoN each with a stall at Freshers Fair. Here, you’ll get to meet the committee members of societies; they are the people who plan the events and work together to organise the society. Ask them questions and introduce yourself.

4. Try Before You Buy

If you’re unsure about joining something there is no need to on the first day of term. Take a mailing list sticker which when scanned with your student ID puts you on the society’s mailing list. For a few weeks you’ll receive the same emails as paying members, therefore for a limited time you can see and attend events without committing your cash. You can join a society at any time throughout the academic year through the Students’ Union website http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/activities/societies/  so don’t feel pressurised to buy membership straight away especially if you’re on a budget!

5. Enjoy!

Use this opportunity to meet people, join societies and get some freebies which will come in handy over the next few weeks. Look out for Patch the Nightline bear who is a great hugger!

* These have been at Freshers Fair in the past however they may be different this year.

Leona Hinds

Nottingham

Leona is a final year languages student. This year she's back in Nottingham after spending her year abroad in the Canary Islands and China. She is sporty, curious and has a weakness for Kit Kat Chunkys.
Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.