Good Goings On in Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Do you want to do some good when you’re meant to be procrastinating? Here’s a list of wonderful events going on in Nottingham or even in the University that you can take part in, and make our community all the better for it.

6th May and 3rd June – SB Farmers Market

I can’t overestimate you how amazing this farmers’ market is. It actually wins awards for being the best in the country so don’t miss out!

9th May – MayFest

Remember when you were actually interested in learning rather than passing an exam? No? Well re-ignite that curiosity with something new! You could learn Chinese calligraphy, use water pistols to destroy bacteria or become a famous historical figure, because who hasn’t always wanted to do that! Check out the other great activities on offer by clicking the title link and remind yourself why you came to uni in the first place!

16th May – Moonlight walk for charity

Raise vital money for the Nottingham Hospice by joining them on their 10k moonlight walk through the city. The theme is “Girls’ night out – sparkle and shine” and dressing up is highly advised. There is no minimum sponsorship but of course, they like to raise as much as possible to support their precious services.

19th-20th May – Give blood

Save a life and get a free cup of tea, as if you needed another reason. Don’t forget that you can donate vital platelets too and help patients recover from transplants, chemotherapy and other serious illnesses.

26th May – Speak Out, Act Up – Gay history exhibition

The Nottingham Contemporary is hosting a number of films as part of their “Speak Out, Act Up” free event. You can learn about life as a gay black man in 1989 dealing with the marginalisation, racism and homophobia of the time, the history of AIDS and the social battles that sufferers had to face and more.

7th June – Race for Life

Walk, jog or run 5 or 10km and raise money for cancer research! Or if you’re feeling up for it, pop over to Leicester and take part in the Pretty Muddy 5k obstacle course on the 17th of May.  Sign up now.

20th June – Oxfam Emergency Challenge

Take part in a simulation emergency situation on campus and raise money for Oxfam. There is live scoring, team tracking and a range of challenges that you need to pass to win so you’ll have a blast!

21st June – Cakeeaters Anonymous

If you are less into burning calories and more into eating them, then this is the fundraiser for you! A bring and buy bake sale for charity! Join in the fun and find out more information by clicking on the title! You can also nominate a charity to benefit from the funds raised at this Cakeeaters Anonymous meeting by clicking on the title link.

Edited by Caroline Chan

Sources:

http://dailydelights.sheknows.com/articles/823971/unexpected-life-lessons-from-the-movie-bridesmaids

http://giphy.com/gifs/love-black-and-white-scene-hX6UylDsK25qg

http://giphy.com/gifs/satisfying-He4wudo59enf2

I'm a fourth year at the University of Nottingham and I never want to leave. I blog about easy ways to make a difference in our world and to our community and I spend most of my life online. When the wifi is down though I love to bake, play with dogs, go exploring, maybe do some coursework and (pretend that I can) sing and dance.
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.