Five Ways To Take a Break From Work Without Spending Money or Feeling Guilty!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Everybody knows that feeling of not wanting to do uni work – the only problem is, we have to!

PROCRASTINATION! We are all familiar with that word, especially around deadlines and exam time when we will do just about anything to escape the dark gloom of work. Unfortunately, it isn’t as simple as just ditching the work to go out and get drunk or to hit the town to spend the little cash you have left at the end of the semester. Every student will have (should have) experienced that guilt-ridden feeling of not working when you are supposed to, and spending money you don’t even have.

Our brains need a rest from time to time or in relation to the uni revision regime, from hour to hour. The more work you do, the more your brain slows down until finally – when you have worked all day and all night for weeks on end – you are about to crumble. So why not turn procrastination into something beneficial with no consequences?

Here are the best five ways to take a break from your hard work – free, fun and (sometimes) factual!

#1 – Watch a documentary! Watching a documentary online is free and often factual. You can make a hot mug of tea, get tucked up for 45 minutes, log onto i-player and simply watch. By the end of it, you will have learnt something new, let your brain rewind and most importantly, be refreshed and ready to resume work.

#2 – Sign up for a trial day at Virgin Active! If you call Virgin Active and tell them that you were thinking of joining (this obviously doesn’t have to be true) and would like a trial day, they book a day for you to come and use all the facilities – gym, pool, sauna and steam room. This will definitely help you to unwind and relax!

#3 – Baking! Baking a cake, brownies or whatever tickles your fancy, is a cheap and easy way to take up some time, unwind and of course…pig out! Check out some of these recipes … http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/cakes_and_baking

#4 – A movie night with the girls! Every girl loves a night in with treats, wine, gossip and a chick flick! So invite your friends round, get into your PJs (or onesie), crack open that wine and chill out. Having a night like this will help you to wake up with a fresh mind and new ideas – so all you need to do is put pen to paper.

#5 – PARTY! I know… you can’t afford to go out, you can’t be hungover the next day, and you need to WORK. Well actually, we are still young and yes we have a degree to get but we all need to let our hair down, get drunk and party. So save £15, work hard all week and by the end of it, you can dance the night away … guilt free!

Try these out and they are guaranteed to put your mind at ease, even if it is just for an hour.

Anna is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham. She studies American Studies and completed a year abroad at the University of Illinois, USA in 2011/12 where she found her passion for Her Campus by working for Her Campus Illinois as a news editorial intern. After graduating, Anna wishes to pursue her dream of moving to London (or even the US eventually!) and working in something creative and fast-paced, whether it be editing, fashion journalism, PR or publishing. Hobbies (/obsessions) include fashion, shopping, traveling, music and, most importantly, food.