Can Women’s Sport Be Considered Sexy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Many girls resist and avoid playing sports as many struggle with the worry of being judged and laughed at as a result. The common misconception is that a girl who plays “manly” sports such as hockey, lacrosse, football as well as many more, are considered to be masculine, butch and (most stereotypically) lesbian. I have been playing hockey and cricket since a young age, two of the least common sports associated with girls, and whenever I have revealed this side of my personality to people, however friendly they may be, there are always snide comments. The concept that strong women who play sport are somehow less womanly is completely absurd. What could be sexier than a woman who isn’t afraid to sprint towards the try line, tackle 15 opponents in their way and dive into a touchdown? 

Our aquatic legend, Rebecca Adlington, and two time Olympic gold medal winner has been on the receiving end of Twitter abuse for some time particularly after winning bronze in the London 2012 Olympics. “People say things like I’m a whale, or I look like a dolphin – I think ‘Well done that’s great imagination you’ve got there,’” Rebecca said in response to the social network abuse. Can you really expect a women to be stick thin when they have to have the strength to pull their body through the water at speed? Rebecca feels women get criticised more intimately and profusely than men in sports, as Rebecca has constantly been judged on not only her sporting abilities but “how [she] did [her] hair, if [she] wore the same dress twice [and] if [she has] got cellulite.” Rebecca also commented, and rightly so, that “for God’s sake, we all have to wear dresses twice, we all have cellulite.” Women who are talented or even just enjoy sport shouldn’t have to conform to the extremes of stereotypes, sports figures are admired for ability and physical strength rather than just a pretty face and whether they shine on the catwalk. 

Jessica Ennis, Britain’s golden girl, is a perfect example of a prime athlete who is also gorgeous! Jessica has not only been lighting up the catwalks but has also been on the cover of Marie Clare and been shot for Vogue. This is a breath of fresh air showcasing a different, healthier and sexier figure for girls and women to aspire to, far removed from the pin thin models we are used to seeing. Studies have also shown that women prefer the body of Jessica to that of Kelly Brook or Kim Kardashian – Think she’d have a ‘Kardash-attack’ if Kim found that out. There can’t be too much wrong with being a strong sportswoman when online tributes have been made to Ennis’s bum in the form of You Tube videos, Twitter accounts and Facebook pages!

And finally, how could anyone call sportswomen butch and unwomanly when Maria Sharapova has been voted the sexiest tennis player alive… and can you blame anyone when that blonde bombshell graces the courts of Wimbledon?  

Edited by Georgina Varley

Image sources: 

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2010/10/13/five-minutes-with-rebecca-adlington/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9064704.stm

Immy Hibberd

Nottingham

Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.