alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bye-Bye Beethoven, Miss You Mog: The Sorrowful Stages of Missing Your Pets at Uni

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

For those of us who have pets, saying goodbye to them when going back to uni can sometimes be more painful than saying goodbye to our parents! Here are the five stages of missing your pets when you’re at uni…

1. Worrying that they don’t know if you’ll simply be gone for 5 minutes or 5 months…

When leaving to return to uni, all you want is to give your pet a huuuuuge squeeze and lots of kisses, but more often than not they couldn’t care less! They don’t get that they won’t see you for months on end, for all they know you could be popping to the shop and be back in 5.

2. What if they forget who I am?

The most dreaded thought. Our little fluffy ones aren’t exactly known for their brainpower, do they have the capacity to remember me? Will they be as excited as I am to see them when I walk through the door? (if your pet is a tortoise then probably not, they don’t seem to show that much emotion) Is she excited to see me or would she still be licking me to death if I was a total stranger? Or maybe they’ll go for the formal handshake?

3. Not experiencing that ball of furry happiness everyday

You’ve had a looooong day of lectures and you’ve finally trudged back to your dismal, cold student house not to be greeted by a happy fluff monster but instead your slightly less cuddly housemates…

4. No one there to love you unconditionally

Maybe you sing really out of tune in the shower at 7 in the morning or love to binge on Jeremy Kyle all day every Thursday, leaving your housemates to seriously judge your life decisions and maybe hate you a little bit. Only a pet truly appreciates your Bublé renditions every morning, maybe even howling along with you. I mean what’s not to love? You provide food, walks and squeaky toys…

5. The excitement of seeing other furry fellows in public is sometimes too much

When you’re feeling down for leaving your pets hundreds of miles away at mum and dad’s, the only thing that can make your day a little better is coming across a happy pup out on its walkies. Even if it’s walking on the other side of a busy road, you will move mountains to coo in its fluffy face and pat its head! Maybe you’re more of a cat person and, after leaving Mog alone for months on end, find any excuse to visit the Kitty Café, wondering if you could slip one into your pocket at the opportune moment. Edited by Lucy Jackman 

Sources: 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassai/the-40-greatest-dog-gifs-of-2012-6…

https://www.rover.com/blog/nathan-the-dancing-dog/

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/17451517283131564

Author’s own

Student at the University of Nottingham studying English and French. Spending a year in France doing sport, sailing and marketing.