This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

This week we’re catching up with Her Campus Nottingham alum Katie Randall, who graduated from UoN in the summer of 2016. We see what she’s been up to…

How did you get involved with Her Campus and why?

I always really enjoyed writing in my spare time and thought it would be a good idea to get some of my work published – Her Campus gave me the opportunity to write about topics that interested me, ranging from feminism to film, and for that I was really grateful. I love the fact that the Her Campus platform encourages and gives a voice to women, who are so often underrepresented by the media.

What was your role?

Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor-in-Chief

What were some of your highlights with Her Campus?

I really loved working with our team! Luckily we all got on really well, so it meant that doing Her Campus work was always fun.

I loved organising the end of year charity Fashion Show, where we raised money for Coppafeel! Even though it was stressful organising the event, the end result was well worth it and was the best way to say goodbye to Her Campus.

Free theatre tickets in exchange for writing reviews were always a plus too!

How has your role helped you since graduating?

From organising people, time management and dealing with sometimes tricky situations, what I learnt in this role has helped me in the real world a lot – I’ve also managed to answer any questions that have been thrown at me in interviews using something that happened at Her Campus!

What are you up to now? 

Since graduating – over a year ago now, eek! – I’ve done various bits and bobs; these include street fundraising, a three-month internship at the United Nations in Geneva and also freelance copywriting. Now I am working at a tech startup called YourWelcome where I started as Content Writing Intern but have recently taken on the role of Accounts Manager. It’s a big learning curve – but one that I’m enjoying very much!

Do you have any advice for UoN students right now?

Get involved in as much as you can – things that you enjoy, things that will give you experience, and also that involve talking to types of people who are different to yourself. If you can, learn a language – DO IT – because it will stand out on your CV and really help your chances if you want to live and/or work abroad. However also remember to have fun!

Contributor account for HC Sonoma
Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!