Alice Child – Impact Arts Editor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

English student Alice Child is certainly making an impact and fast becoming a BNOC in her final year, as the new Arts editor for the top student publication, UoN’s very own Impact magazine. We found out about her involvement so far as an editor, and the innovative and exciting things the arts at Impact has to offer us this year – keep your eyes peeled!

What made you choose to become an arts editor?

Well, I was going into my final year, and I wanted to get really involved with one society before I left university. I was a member of a few others, but had never held a position of authority. I thought it would be a great way of meeting some different people, whilst at the same time doing something positive to boost my CV. Impact seemed like the obvious choice; I had been a writer for the Arts section for some time, and everyone was really inclusive and lovely. Win-win!

How are you finding your role and responsibilities so far?

It’s been a bit of a hectic start, particularly fresher’s week where we were trying to get an article up online everyday whilst at the same time recruiting new contributors, liaising with our press contacts for the first time, pitching ideas to the editors-in-chief and preparing for our next magazine launch. But I think we have got into a good routine now, and it’s been really lovely meeting all our keen new contributors.

What impact do you feel the arts should have on current students? Do you think it is important for them to take an interest in the area?

Well as arts editor I can’t exactly say ‘no’ can I?! For me, the arts are obviously really important. I have always been creative and need to be doing something creative with my free time. I think sometimes at university, depending perhaps on what course you do, it becomes harder to find a creative outlet. One of our online features this year is ‘art things to do in Nottingham’, where we will send our writers to all the weird and wonderful creative things to do in Nottingham and blog about it for our readers. Things like life drawing, pottery painting, craft club, art exhibitions, photography shows – we don’t just want Impact Arts to be a place to find theatre reviews.

It sounds like you have some exciting new developments! Can you tell us about any upcoming features for the magazine?

Well the October issue of the magazine comes out on the 28th October, and we have some great stuff in there that we are really proud of. There is an interview with local author John Harvey, an article on the new ‘books are my bag’ campaign, and a two-page spread that looks at Nottingham students top fictional crushes – as voted for on our online survey. There were some really great responses (and some which were purely ridiculous!). We are also currently really excited about our new online feature ‘Tale of 100 Voices’, where we aim to have 100 different people send in 100 words, each adding to and developing one long story. The first 200 words are already on the website; where will it lead?! You decide! This idea stems from the same path of thinking I was talking about earlier – we want to give students a chance to be creative, rather than just read reviews and articles about what others have done and seen. The future may hold things like photography competitions and creative writing competitions.

What do you want to bring to Impact this year?

I want to try and help maintain the open and friendly atmosphere that won me over to Impact when I first started writing for it it last year. Societies can seem quite intimidating and cliquey, but the great thing about Impact is that we simply can’t have too many people willing to help. There are over 10 sections in the magazine, and all of them, like us, need people to write articles, reviews, brainstorm ideas, and just generally be wicked. Whether you just want to write an article every now and again to see your name in print, or whether you might want an editor position at some point in the future, it is so so easy to just walk through the office doors and get involved.

Where can you see Impact magazine in 5 years’ time?

I can see it being right where it is now – the top! Winner of Student publication of the year 2012, and in the draw for the award this year (fingers crossed!), I imagine that in the very capable hands of Emily and Antonia, our wonderful Editors-in-Chief, Impact will only continue to grow. We have a beautiful new website being launched later this year, so NOW is the time to get involved!

Visit the Impact magazine website for the latest in the arts and everything else in the world of Impact here! – http://www.impactnottingham.com/

Clare Evans

Nottingham

Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.