5 Scenic Spots to Daytime Drink in Nottingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Now that deadline and exam season is coming to a close, it can be difficult to decide what to do with your time whilst still in Nottingham, nervously awaiting your results.

But as we all know, there is one thing that all students exceed at, and that is drinking. Towards the end of the semester, there are always ritual club nights such as Crisis and Ocean which bring out all the stops to send you off for summer with a bang. However, now that you don’t have to spend endless hours in Hallward, lecture theatres, seminars, or labs, what exactly is there to do, and where is there to go to enjoy a drink whilst you await your 10.30pm ticket entry.

Here are 5 great locations where you can drink, relax and enjoy the sun whilst you spend your last few weeks of the semester in Nottingham! 

1.  The Waters Edge

Located on Castle Bridge Retail park, by the infamous 24 hour McDonalds and large Sainsburys (that you probably have only visited if you own a car) The Waters Edge is a part of the ‘Hungry Horse’ chain, and therefore you can rely on its quick service and cheap prices. Situated along the river trent, it is a great location for daytime drinking with a beer garden that is more private and secluded than the Rose and Crown, but just as cheap and student dominated. With a number of outdoor heaters to keep you drinking throughout the evening, you’ll be looking to sell your Crisis ticket on Buy/Sell just so you can enjoy a pitcher of cocktail or bottle prosecco which comes as cheap as a bottle of the house white!

2. The Sir John Borlase

Just up from Seely Road, Sir John Borlase is located at the top of Lenton, or as the nearest bus stop indicates ‘Canning Circus’. Specialising in a number of beers and ales, Sir John Borlase is most attractive for the gin drinkers. Stocking around 50 gins, this pub has a whole menu dedicated to gin based drinks. As a student you’re most likely to stick to the ‘bronze level’ menu, but who cares when you can get a double measure of an adequately tasting gin with your choice of ANY flavoured Fever Tree tonic (the elderflower is to die for!!) served in a fancy gin glass, all for £4.95. If you’re feeling extra fancy, you may treat yourself to a gin from the platinum list, but be prepared to pay £8.95!

Hidden away at the top of Lenton, Sir John Borlase also has a quaint terrace, and so may you enjoy your gin under the British sunshine.

3. The Walton

Situated in the historic ‘Park’ area of Nottingham, is small, fancy retreat The Walton. Beautifully decorated throughout, The Walton takes pride in its terrace which -slightly out of place-  overlooks the wonderful sights of student housing. Serving number of classic cocktails and small bites to eat on their prestigious evening menu, the terrace is big enough to provide silver steel scaffolding for a DJ booth, and often holds itself as one of the only bars in Nottingham to let off fireworks during the summer nights. The Walton regularly holds summer terrace parties, so be sure to keep an eye out on your Facebook events to have a taste of the high life.

4. Saltwater

More commonly known as ‘Rocket’, Saltwater is the name dedicated to the night bar which accompanies the restaurant on the top floor of The Corner House in the heart of the city. Described as a top quality bar, Saltwater’s menu consists of cocktails, wines, beer and spirits which can be enjoyed on the totally refurbished terrace. With deals such as 2-4-1 Mojito Mondays and discounted doubles on spirits and mixers Monday-Thursday, this is a perfect place for your midday, midweek alcohol fix.

5. The Riverbank Bar & Kitchen

Sat along the River Trent, just off from Victoria Embankment, The Riverbank Bar and Kitchen is a sophisticated venue for outdoor drinks and nibbles. Offering a number of spirits, beers and ales, this unique bar is for this for those who hate the mainstream and settle for scenic views and averagely priced beverages. But do not fear, with 2-4-1 cocktail deals on a Thursday and Friday you can enjoy the elite lifestyle whilst paying only a margin of the price.

Sources:

http://www.hungryhorse.co.uk/locations/waters-edge-nottingham

http://www.rocketrestaurants.co.uk/venues/nottingham/

https://www.expedia.co.uk/Nottinghamshire-Hotels-The-Walton.h10465558.Ho…

https://twitter.com/riverbank_notts