This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

One of the best parts of being on a year abroad in America is the ability to travel and explore. Living in New York State is great for easily visiting so many East Coast cities. One of the best places I’ve visited so far has been Boston, Massachusetts. It’s a unique city, with plenty of history and culture. There are so many exciting and fun things to do in Boston, even if you are only there for a short amount of time. Here is my guide of the best things to do when in Boston.  

Boston Common

The Boston Common is well worth a visit. It is the oldest, and perhaps one of the prettiest, parks in the USA. The famous and historical Freedom Trail starts in the park and continues throughout Boston’s North End. There are so many things to see and do in and around the park. It is home to the Massachusetts State House, the Park Street Church (where William Lloyd Garrison gave his first anti-slavery speech), the Boston Massacre memorial and the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. It also has a beautiful public garden and an iconic George Washington statue. This park is perfect for a picnic or a nice stroll throughout the year. It is also a great spot for people watching.

Skywalk Observatory at the Prudential Tower

If you love a good skyline and panoramic views of a city then the Skywalk Observatory should be on your Boston list. It is located on the 50th floor of the Prudential Tower, the 2nd tallest building in Boston. The best time to visit is just before sunset so you can see the city by day and by night if you stay long enough. The Prudential Tower is also home to a shopping centre downstairs and a bar and restaurant on the 52nd floor so you can dine with a view. 

Bunker Hill Memorial

The Bunker Hill Monument is also a great historical place to visit in Boston. It is a 221 feet tall monument, built to commemorate the site of the first major battle of the American Revolution in June 1775. You can climb 294 (extremely tiring) steps to the top of the monument for more great views of the city too. Although it is hard work to get to the top, the view and sense of accomplishment is well worth it in the end. Also there is a small grassy area around at the bottom to have a rest afterwards and take in the views of the pretty neighbourhood in the surrounding area.

Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market

Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are great tourist spots because they combine history, shopping and food in one small square. Faneuil Hall has a market hall on the first floor and meeting place on the second floor that used to be used as a government meeting hall. It also has historical facts about Boston on the first floor. Quincy Market across the street is also a must visit. It is a large food hall with a wide variety of cuisine outlets, including Boston’s famous Clam Chowder. It is also well worth a visit to see the beautiful architecture and design of the building, especially the dome ceiling on the second floor.

Harvard

Of course no trip to Boston is complete without a visit to one of the world’s most famous universities, Harvard. The campus is beautiful, it looks just like a typical red brick, Ivy League American university, but better. You can also visit Harvard Square, which is home to cafes and shops on the outside of the campus or visit one of the museums located on campus such as the Harvard Museum of Natural History. Many tourists also visit to touch the statue of John Harvard for good luck. Or you could wander around pretending to be a student straight out of The Social Network or Legally Blonde.

Edited by Caroline Chan

Images: Author’s Own

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus! 
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.