Save or Splurge? Your Back-to-School Shopping Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The first day of school is just around the corner, and we all know what that means: Back-to-School Shopping. After three months away from campus, we all want to look totally fab upon our return—let’s be real. But, we don’t want to break our banks doing so.

To save or splurge? That is the question. We’re saving money to travel abroad, to buy overpriced books and, of course, for $3 cab rides and a good time at CJ’s on Saturday nights, so deciding what to splurge on can be a tough call. College budgets don’t always give us the most leeway. We need to make smart fashion investments. If only this had been the topic of my finance class…

Here’s my list of Fall Must-Haves, and my (expert, ahem) opinion of where to save and where to splurge so that you look the best for even less.

Splurge! on Jeans

A good pair of jeans is a MUST. You will live in them. To get the most bang for your buck, find a pair with the perfect medium-dark wash that’s versatile enough to look chic for class and glam for a Friday night. My personal favorites: Citizens of Humanity, Hudson, and Paige. I give you my permission to splurge.

Save! (or Splurge) on Boots

You will not survive fall without a pair of boots, trust me. So, I say go for it—invest in a quality pair. Frye boots are wonderful, but obviously nowhere short of pricey, so if those are out of your price range, look for other options in BP. Shoes at Nordstrom or Macy’s. There are definitely great options around $100.

Frye Veronica Slouch Boots: $328

Hinge Devin Boot: $150

Save! on Ballet Flats

Ballet flats are a basic that every girl should have in her closet. Though they’re an essential, do not spend a lot. We wear them day in and day out, the scratches turn into horrific scruffs and next thing you know, there’s a hole in the heel. One word for you: Target. Ballet flats for $16.99? The Sam Edelman pair cost $100 at Neiman Marcus, the Mossimo pairs are currently starting at $9 at Target. Can you even tell the difference between the two? 

Sam Edelman: $100

Mossimo: $8.49-$16.99

Save! on Sweaters

A sweater’s versatility makes it one of your wardrobe’s most valuable assets. Pair it with jeans, leggings, LBD, or patterned skirt—it won’t even look like the same piece of clothing. Purchasing a good quality sweater is a good investment because it won’t wear out easily—and it’s extra soft and comfy. Check out J.Crew or Banana Republic for the sweater that will keep you warm in that brisk fall weather.

Need more than just one? Look at Gap. They have sweaters and cardigans in colors and styles galore—and they are almost always on sale.

Splurge! (or Save) on Watches

It can’t be denied—watches are all the rage. If you have a little extra money from your summer job and want to treat yourself, then a watch is a perfect reward. You can’t go wrong with a Michael Kohrs or Marc Jacobs (around $200), and of course a Rolex or Michele is beyond gorgeous (that is, if you made thousands of dollars this summer…)

If you can’t invest in a high-quality watch right now, not a problem – the day will come. Check out the accessories in Nordstrom’s BP. Department.

Michele Watch: $445-$895

Titanium Watch at BP. Nordstrom: $20 

Splurge! on Scarf

A scarf is the peferct addition to any fall outfit. Cream, black, tan and even pink or patterned scarves finish off any outfit. You can splurge on a beautiful cashmere scarf from J.Crew or an elegant patterned one from Ted Baker. I endorse both of those purchases – neither will ever go out of style. If you’re looking for something a little less expensive though, Forever 21 and Gap offer great options that look way more than they cost you. No one will ever know. 

Splurge! on a Book Bag

Just a reminder that we aren’t dressing for the runway—I know, shockingly Back-to-School Shopping is for school. A book bag is a definite must-have. It’s something you will use all throughout college and even after—packing for a weekend getaway, gallivanting across Europe or hopping on a plane. Though I consider this an investment, it’s not one that will take a toll on your bank account. Herschel’s and Longchamp are classic options. Urban Outfitters carries fantastic backpacks as well. 

Best of luck making your fashion investments! 

Follow HCND on Twitter and Instagram (@hercampusnotredame), and like us on Facebook

Images 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

My name is Kit Loughran. I'm a junior Marketing and Journalism double-major at Notre Dame.