This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Dear New Friends:

With finals here, emotions high, stress to a maximum, I’d just like to take a second to thank you. This year has been the best year of my life, and it wouldn’t have meant nearly as much to me without you. For the first time in my life, I found a group of individuals who loved me, accepted me, and cared for me, despite my quirks and weird idiosyncrasies. I’m not ashamed of my nerdy tendencies, my geeky little fun facts, or my love of reading. I have found a home with you guys.

The memories we have created thus far have been amazing. From the hilarious party stories, to the 3am tears we have cried, it’s truly amazing to know that I have a group of individuals in my life that support me as much as you do. It hasn’t even been a year, but yet, I feel such an incredible sense of security and stability with you guys. C.S. Lewis described it perfectly, “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” I hope I make you feel the same.

Thank you for making me laugh so hard that my stomach hurt and my eyes cried. Thank you for holding my hand while I cried endlessly for hours. Thank you so much for helping me while I was sick, and for always making me feel like an important part of your life. It means so much to be around a group of individuals that care as much as you.    

Life is busy, and so are we. I’m not a big talker when it comes to venting about the things that are bothering me. If I seem distant or quiet, don’t take offense. Like a cheesy breakup excuse, it’s not you; it’s me. Sometimes my mind wanders to places that you will never understand: home, people, old memories, and old sentiments.  Bring back a funny Notre Dame memory, and I’ll be back by your side too. Thank you for trying to get to know that old life of mind, for remembering my best friend’s job or my boyfriend’s major. I’m trying just as hard to do the same, because I know how much that old life meant to you. It means a lot to me, too.  

Jess C. Scott once said, “Friends are the family you choose.” I’m so glad and grateful that you are not only my friend, but also my family. I look forward to watching us both grow side by side over the next few years. You are a smart, beautiful, courageous, kind, and open-hearted. I love you and appreciate you more than you’ll ever know. 

XOXO,

Chloe

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: Provided by the author.