Keeping Skin Healthy During a South Bend Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Coming from somewhere where the average daily humidity is above 90% and the temperature is rarely below 70 degrees, adjusting to the South Bend weather was not easy. My once clear skin suddenly had random patches of acne and my once oily face was now dry and peeling. I knew that if I wanted to return to my previous complexion something had to change and it wasn’t going to be the weather. Here are a few tips to keep your skin healthy both in South Bend and in general.

1. Visit A Dermatologist

If you are having problems with your skin it can often be beneficial to visit a dermatologist. Often it is easy to tell that there is a problem with our skin, but not actually know the source of that issue. This is where a dermatologist comes in. They are specially trained to recognize skin issues, determine their cause, and make suggestions about how to treat them.

2. Wear Sunscreen every day

This is one of the most important skin care tips that exist. Wearing a daily SPF is important for a wide range of issues. Doing so helps reduce acne, prevents wrinkles and premature aging, and most importantly reduces your risk of skin cancer. More than 4 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed in America each year and many more go undiagnosed. This number would drop dramatically if Americans started decreasing their exposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays. This may not seem important during South Bend’s many consecutive days without sun, but even when we cannot see the sun or enjoy its warmth, its rays can penetrate the dense snow filled clouds and cause harm to us and our skin. It is easy to incorporate sunscreen into your daily routine. Many brands offer makeup and moisturizers that include an SPF or you can buy one separately. My personal favorite is the EltaMD Clear UV SPF 46. I put in on every morning before I go out either on its own or underneath my makeup (which also contains an SPF). I love this sunscreen because it also doubles as a moisturizer which helps eliminate a step in my morning routine.

3. Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize!

Being from New Orleans, dry skin was never really an issue for me until I came to Notre Dame. The cold dry air quickly took its toll on my skin and I knew I needed to up my moisturizer game. I currently use three different moisturizers in order to keep my skin healthy and fresh. The first I mentioned in the above section is part of my daily SPF. The second is the “A Perfect World” Antioxidant moisturizer from Origins. This moisturizer is for combination skin, but they offer options for every skin type. The final one is the Teoxane RHATM Prime Solution. I spray this on my face for a light boost of moisture and a dewy appearance.

4. Take your makeup off before bed.

It’s super easy to come back from a party or a night out with friends and fall straight into bed, or in my case make the dangerous trek up to my loft. It is almost just as easy to grab a makeup wipe and then go to bed. Sleep is your body’s time to recover and heal itself and this includes your skin. If your face is covered in old makeup and your pores are clogged, it is much harder for your body to do what it needs to do. I always keep a pack of makeup remover wipes next to my bed so all I have to do in my sleepy state is reach over and grab one.

5. Don’t forget your regular routine

College is the time for freedom where you no longer have parents telling you what to do all the time. Unfortunately, this means we can forget to do some of the basic things we used to do at home. Try hard to eat your best, drink water, wash your face regularly, and use your acne medication if you have it. Remembering to do these things is hard without real adults reminding you to do so, but if you are successful, your skin will thank you.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4