Intimate Encounters: Date Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

This article isn’t about sex, but it is about dating in South Bend, so I figured I might as well pass long my favourite date spots to you lovely ladies.

RESTAURANTS

Cambodian Thai

If you’re into Thai/oriental food, this place has some of the best pad see ew and yellow curry I have ever tasted. It used to be this charming little hole in the wall but as of last year they moved to a bigger location. Food is still as good; it just doesn’t have the same small restaurant charm it used to. They don’t do delivery, but they do a lot of takeout. Two of my first dates were actually here, and it was my go to post-football game restaurant, so I have very fond memories of it.

Address: 235 S Michigcan St

Phone Number: (574) 289 2877

Café Navarre 

I’m not sure when they opened because I remember going there for the first time my junior year, but holy moly is this one of the best restaurants in town. It’s a little on the pricier side, so save it for special occasions. The food is unreal. It’s mostly steaks and seafood, but there is a little bit of everything. Their menu is concise and everything is superb. They also happen to have one of the best wine selections in town. The vibe is also very classy and upscale, so you have a nice excuse to dress up. Reservations recommended.

Address: 101 N Michigan St

Phone Number: (574) 968 8101

Corndance 

This place was recommended to me by one of my professors and I love it for the sole fact that they are the only place in town that serves exotic meats. I’m into weird food stuff, and I’ve had everything from alligator to ostrich here. It’s really weird flavour combinations but a with of a Midwestern kick, so if you’re feeling adventurous this is the place for you. A little on the pricier side, but totally worth it. Also—they make killer pomegranate martinis (yes, I like girly drinks. So what?!). Reservations recommended.

Address: 4725 Grape Rd

Phone Number: (574) 217 7584

The Carriage House

Ridiculously expensive but so adorably charming and delicious. I’ve only been here for big events (birthdays, Valentine’s Day, graduations, etc.) It’s kind of far away but it’s worth the trip as it’s an old converted early 20th century house. They update their menu seasonally so you’ll never have the same thing twice, and private dining is also available. Reservations recommended.

Address: 24460 Adams Rd

Phone Number (574) 272 9220

BARS (21+ obviously, and no, I don’t endorse fake IDs. Lo siento.)

LaSalle Grill

This is a restaurant on the first floor with a beautiful terrace on the second floor and a bar on the top floor. It’s a hidden gem—not a lot of people know about the bar it so it’s usually quiet. I was introduced to it by a law student, who also got me hooked on their Sazeracs. If you like absinthe, you’ll love this cocktail. There are a bunch of tables but I recommend sitting at the bar—it’s a really cool horseshoe shape. The food is amazing too. Try their duck confit. I promise you won’t regret it.

Address: 115 W Colfax Ave

Phone Number: (574) 288 1155

Madison Oyster Bar

I hold this bar near and dear to my heart. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with it over the years. Major downside: it’s really smoky. On weekdays you’ll find a lot of old timers just sitting at the bar having a beer and smoking a cigarette. If you can get past the smoke smell, it’s a good time. There is a jukebox, pool tables, and three floors of smoky heaven. Major plus: it’s one of the few places in South Bend where you can smoke hookah, and they have a bunch of really neat combinations. Despite the name, I don’t go there for the oysters.

Address: 129 N Main St

Phone Number: (574) 288 3776

McCormick’s Coney Island Bar 

Another smoky bar, but I feel like it encompasses everything that is South Bend and therefore, j’adore. There’s always a group of old guys playing poker at the front table, and there’s live music in the back sometimes. It’s pretty small and narrow, but I like to go there to just sit at the bar and have a pre-dinner drink or something. They have all the basics, but I really recommend their gin martinis.

Address: 125 N Michigan St

Phone Number: (574) 289 8031

Bar Louie 

Obviously a restaurant known for their burgers, but their bar gets pretty good on weekends. It’s definitely a ‘young professional’ type bar, and you get a lot more locals than students which is a nice change of pace sometimes. I like Bar Louie for group dates. It’s a really upbeat, energetic environment and you feel like you’re maybe living a big city somewhere on the East Coast. Not your typical South Bend vibe, and they make a really good Manhattan.

Address: 6501 Grape Rd #1100

Phone Number: (574) 277 9100

ARTSY STUFF

Langlab 

Maybe the most amazing find ever, and I only wish I would’ve discovered it sooner. It’s an old converted warehouse that’s half museum, half performance space. They offer salsa night on Wednesdays, and yoga classes in the morning. There are constantly gallery exhibits, poetry readings, live music events, writing contests, and the like. They also partnered with this great local coffee company, and it is definitely one of the most fun places you can to on a date. Word of caution: it’s always a little chilly in there, so just bring a light jacket. Other than that, you’re good to go!

Address: 1302 High St

Website: http://www.langlabsb.com/

Theatre/Dance 

I didn’t want to list them all separately, but there are some amazing theatre venues and dance companies in South Bend. Obviously we have DPAC right on campus, which always has great cinema and visiting dance troupes, but we also have The Morris Performing Arts Center, South Bend Civic Theatre, The State Theatre, Patchwork Dance Company, Southold Dance Theater, Broadway Theatre league, as well as the theatre programs at Saint Mary’s College, IUSB, and Bethel College. A bunch of local churches and youth groups also put on productions throughout the year. Just use Google, and I can guarantee you can find something performance based on any given weekend.

Galleries

If you’re anything like me, you’re kind of over the whole museum vibe. You go, take a tour, listen to some bored teenager give you the general info, and go on your merry way. I’ve discovered that galleries are the better way to go. You can move at your own pace, admire the art individually, and at the end you can even purchase it! There are tons of local artists in South Bend who have amazing talent, and they are showcased at local galleries. Some of my favourites are Artpost Gallery, Gallery East, Circa Arts Gallery, Max Black Fine Art, Piser Designs (really cool furniture), Colfax Cultural Center, and FireArts Inc. Again, just Google! You’re bound to find something you like.

MISCELLANEOUS

Blue Chip Casino and Spa 

This is definitely a day or even weekend trip because it is in Michigan City. If you’re 21+, you will have a great time here. The casino is great (blackjack, anyone?) and the spa is actually pretty amazing. I got a seaweed wrap there that left my skin looking ***flawless*** and their facials are not that expensive. This is definitely a date place for a couple that has known each other for a while, but it makes for a nice anniversary or birthday present.

Address: 777 Blue Chip Dr

Phone Number: (219) 879 7711

Potawatami Zoo 

We have a zoo in South Bend, believe it or not. It is home to over 400 animals, including poison dart frogs (yes, I get more excited over the amphibians than the mountain lions, sue me). It’s relatively cheap ($8.50 per adult), and you can really spend all afternoon there. Sometimes it’s good to get back in touch with our inner child and relive the amazing experiences of seeing such awe inspiring animals again.

Address: 500 S Greenlawn Ave

Website: https://potawatomizoo.org/

Satek Winery 

Again, 21+. This winery is about an hour away but it is so cool. You can take a tour of their cavas and watch how they make their wine. It’s a family run business that has been passed down from one generation to the next, and it’s a super friendly environment. You do need to make reservations, but you can make a day trip of it with other couples because they offer group rates as well.

Address: 6208 N Van Guilder Rd

Phone Number: (260) 495 9463

The Kitchen BMX & Skatepark 

One of the rare gems of South Bend that I really wish I had discovered sooner. I can’t skate to save my life, but some of the guys I’ve dated do and watching them skate was always so neat. They also have events sometimes (picture the South Bend version of the X games, be still my heart), so you can go watch a bunch of pro and semi-pro skaters compete. And if you know how to skate, get out there on the ramps too. I tried it once—and failed miserably—but it was definitely a lot of fun.

Address: 3300 Sample St

Phone Number: (574) 217 8946

I know this is a long list, but it just goes to show that there really is a lot to do here in South Bend. It took me four years to come up with this list, so hopefully I’ll save you the time and energy of having to do your own research. Something that I learned early on was to ask my professors for suggestions, especially the younger ones. We sometimes forget that our teachers have lives of their own too, and more often than not they’ve lived in the area for a while so they’ve got some great suggestions. Also, if all else fails and you’re really bored with date nights here in South Bend, take the South Shore Train into Chicago for the weekend. I’d make a to do list of date nights in Chicago, but that really would take a novel. Good luck, and let me know what your favourite places are!

xx, Gemma

Want more Gemma? Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images 1, 2

Intimate Encounters is a new column I'll be writing for Her Campus ND and I decided to become a part of it because I want people (especially women) to start feeling comfortable with their sex life. I’m not here to lecture, preach, or tell you that everything that I have done or will do in my sex life is the right or wrong thing to do. I’m going to talk about mistakes that I’ve made, amazing experiences that I’ve had, firsts (a lot of firsts), funny stories, awkward moments, and people that have made a difference in the woman I’ve become. Hopefully I’ll also be able to answer any questions you might have-- seriously, no shame.