Going for Gold in the Midst of FIFA’s Red Cards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Thirty-two matches, twenty-four teams, one goal.

The United States and Germany faced off in a head-to-head collision (quite literally) tonight during the first round of the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup semifinals.  In the wake of FIFA’s most recent scandals, a 1-0 win against China, and its latest victory over No. 1 Germany,  the U.S. Women’s National Team continues to prove itself in the World Cup, a tournament with more at stake than a championship title.

Anticipating the stiff competition of veteran athletes from France and Japan, analysts initially agreed the United States entered the Cup as an underdog. Now, with last week’s game-winning goal- shot by American midfielder Carli Lloyd- and a tie-breaking penalty kick against Germany to boot, the squad has become something of a dark horse. Speeding past China for second-rank position, the U.S. advanced to the World Cup semifinals tonight against the Germans, and shocked the world with its triumph. 

Zeroes on the scoreboard at the half, the tides changed for the U.S. when, for the first time in World Cup history, Germany failed to make a penalty shot. Fifty-nine minutes on the clock, German striker Celia Sasic’s kick flew wide to the left, missing the goal entirely. The United States was in the clear, rounding about once again to secure a 2-0 win with defender Kelly O’Hara’s perfectly timed sliding goal.  “It’s a dream come true. This is what we train for- the blood, sweat, and tears,” Lloyd commented in a post-match interview this evening.

The rise to the top tier has been a remarkable one, but summing up the journey in short snippets of game day highlights and recaps only gives a portion of the story.

Bend it Like Blatter

Just ten days before the World Cup’s opening match in Edmonton, the United States Department of Justice indicted 14 defendants for racketeering conspiracy and corruption. Counted among these defendants were 9 officials of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and 5 corporate executives. Hours earlier, Swiss authorities arrested seven FIFA VIPs on the basis of these charges, later launching a separate criminal inquiry into the bidding process that took place for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who will not be attending Sunday’s final in Vancouver, is still under scrutinizing investigation for his possible knowledge of the organization members’ under-the-table dealings. According to United States Attorney General Loretta Lynch, the most serious of these allegations are the racketeering charges, which accuse the organization of receiving some $150 million dollars in bribes.  “This really is the World Cup of fraud, and today we are issuing FIFA a red card,” Richard Weber, chief of the IRS criminal investigation division, told CNN in late May.

Critics are quick to point fingers at FIFA once again, calling into question the concussion protocol- or rather, lack thereof- following U.S. midfielder Morgan Brian and German forward Alexandra Popp’s violent skull-cracking collision some 28 minutes into the semifinals. Combine that with the public protests that erupted during the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, coupled with riots lamenting exploitation of the poor in the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Rio de Janerio, and you sample just a taste of FIFA’s checkered past. The controversies did not begin, nor do they end, here.

Playing for Keeps

Rewind to December, 2014. Along with U.S. forward Abby Wambach and German midfielder Nadine Kessler, an international group of players filed legal complaints against FIFA and the Canadian Soccer Association last fall over conditions of this summer’s fields in the World Cup. The use of artificial turf caused dissent for a number of reasons, as turf heightens the risk of serious injury, and allows balls to travel and bounce differently than on natural grass.

Moreover, the men’s World Cup has always been held on real grass, which raises the issue of gender inequity and violates Section 1 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Wambach, who has scored more international goals than any other soccer player to date, is part of a team that currently holds a 513 minute shut-out streak, the first team to make it to four Women’s World Cup finals. They want nothing more than a level playing field. Keeper Ashlyn Harris, whose work with non-profit movement To Write Love on Her Arms has inspired young men and women across the country, tweeted earlier in regard to the legal motion.

However, the women have bigger fish to fry at the moment.  Though  the debate remains a point of contention for many, the lawsuit was ultimately dropped in January to make way for World Cup preparations. “Women would play on a field of glass and nails for the World Cup,” former Canadian all-star Carrie Serwetnyk said in October. “They’re spirited and dedicated and mentally tough. And that’s the problem. Women will step up.” According to ESPN, a lawyer for the athletes said that the women’s protest did achieve some of its objectives though, showing that they will no longer passively accept gender discrimination or allow it to go without reprimand.

In a recent interview with TIME Magazine, U.S. forward Alex Morgan explained that this was not her first encounter with FIFA’s lack of interest in the women’s sport. “I have experienced sexism multiple times, and I’m sure I will a lot more… I feel like I’m fighting for female athletes. At the FIFA World Player of the Year event [in 2012], FIFA executives and FIFA president Sepp Blatter didn’t know who I was. And I was being honored as top three in the world. That was pretty shocking.”

As of yet, FIFA and the CSA have shown no intention of negotiating the matter. Neither association willing to budge, their silence almost taunts players like Harris and Morgan, “You’re really going to challenge us on this one? You and what army?”

Well, FIFA, the ladies are building that army.

#SheBelieves

On June 6th, Canada welcomed no less than 24 teams to the field, a record number for the Women’s Cup. With 8 squads, including the Ivory Coast and Thailand, making their debut appearances in the tournament, this year’s World Cup is making history. Gaining momentum with their #SheBelieves campaign, the U.S. Women’s National Team is one of many making strides for young women in the sport. It’s an exciting time to follow the women’s game, and these athletes have refused to let tremors from FIFA’s scandals shake their confidence. “Nothing is going to distract any of the teams, any of the players in [this] environment in Canada representing their country.” Coach Jill Ellis told press after this May’s scandal reports. “This is bigger than an organization. This is a passion. This is life. This is our sport.”

Players and fans alike seem to share similar opinions on the matter.

Katie Uhler, sophomore  midfielder and forward for the University of Notre Dame Women’s Soccer team, shares,”[It’s] refreshing to see that action is being taken against the corruption in FIFA. As for the Women’s World Cup, I know that my teammates and I are really looking forward to watching the U.S. national team and the other squads in the tournament.” Fans of the Fightin’ Irish have been happy to tune in as well. “Interestingly enough, there’s one member of every ND women’s soccer championship team playing in the World Cup:  Shannon Boxx (1995) for the U.S., Melissa Tancredi (2004) for Canada, and Adriana Leon (2010) for Canada as well,” Uhler tells HCND.

Poised to take home a third World Cup title in the July 5th finals, the United States is in a perfect position for leaving a lasting impact on the game of soccer and FIFA standards. “Should the U.S. [ever] pull out of the federation, I doubt it’ll do much good, if any. Actually, I think the U.S., along with leaders from UEFA, will be the ones to help guide FIFA out of this mess. So I believe the U.S.’s presence within the federation will make a positive impact in regards to fighting the corruption going on within FIFA,” longtime supporter, Katie Czerwinski, predicts. “In regards to the women’s FIFA World Cup, I’m extremely excited for what the U.S. has to bring to the table… I have high hopes for our women.” 

High hopes indeed, fans. “We’ve been preparing a long time for this game.  The last couple of years have all been for [today],” Alex Morgan told reporters in last night’s press conference. Amid the controversy, a different movement is emerging, one to refocus the world’s lens on love of the game.

You see, the battle was always against a bigger entity than any one individual, corrupt organization, or rival team. For these twenty-three  athletes, being a part of the Women’s National Team means defeating the opponent we all house between our own two ears so that, by our failures and successes, we can raise those around us to higher peaks and set our sights on brighter goals. When they returned to the pitch tonight, that is exactly what these women demonstrated.

The U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team will join the winner of Wednesday’s match on Sunday evening for the 2015 FIFA World Cup Finals. 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love! 

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.com or Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com.

Images:  1,  2,  3,  4,  5,  6

Videos:  1

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,

Cara

Notre Dame

Born and raised in the suburbs of Ohio, Cara is a sophomore Neuroscience and Behavior major at the University of Notre Dame.  Join her as she navigates the ins and outs of her home under the Dome!