A Case for Celebrating Christmas in November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

November 1st–debatably the most divisive day of the year. It poses the age old question: when does Christmas season begin? Generally there are two camps. Some put on their Christmas playlist immediately when they wake up at the start of November, and others wait until after Thanksgiving. I am a member of the first group. Why? Because I’m holly freaking jolly, that’s why. But there’s plenty of other logic behind my choice.

1. Christmas music makes people happy

Only psychopaths don’t like Christmas music, and I don’t see a problem with privately listening to it when I want to, which is November 1st. All of the new Christmas albums have come out by then and life just seems so much grander with Christmas music in the background. Plus, there’s never a bad time to dust off Justin Bieber’s Christmas album. It’s a true work of art.

2. According to Target, Christmas has begun

By November 1st Target has fully stocked it’s holiday section. I’m not saying we should base all of our life choices off of Target, but what I am supposed to do? Walk by without perusing? I simply don’t have that kind of will power. Sorry, not sorry.

3. Thanksgiving does not occupy the entire month

One of the biggest complaints about celebrating Christmas early is this wild notion that doing so somehow takes away from Thanksgiving, which is honestly a false narrative. I can multitask. After all, the Thanksgiving celebration takes three days max and I still celebrate it with enthusiasm. It’s a nice little pre-game to the festivities of December.

4. Finals ruin the first couple weeks of December

If you wait until after Thanksgiving to celebrate, you’re going to be smack dab in the middle of finals week at the peak of the merriment. Best to be safe and make sure you’ve thoroughly celebrated before and after the madness…during too if you’re truly merry. 

5. November is a nice warm-up

If you want to wait until December to celebrate, go ahead, but then all of the shopping and decorating is going to hit you like a ton of bricks. Like homework assignments, it’s best not to procrastinate so you do not get overwhelmed. Ergo, celebrating in November is really the responsible way to go about the holiday season.

6. IT’S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR

As a pessimist, I don’t live in a world of rainbows and sunshine most of the time, so excuse me if I want to makes sure that the (and I quote) “most wonderful time of the year” is as long as possible.

Honestly I could give a flying fadoodle if you want to hold off on celebrating Christmas. Hell, I don’t care if you’re not really into Christmas at all. I mean, I don’t know if we could be friends, but I’m not friends with a lot of people–most people, in fact. If you don’t think we should celebrate Christmas in November, fine, okay, whatever. Have fun living your very dull life in November while I’m full of Christmas cheer. Your call. But please for the love of God, do not act so offended that I’ve chosen to take a different route.

I love Christmas. I love it so so much. I encourage you to celebrate it as long as possible, but if you can’t do that, at the bare minimum, let me celebrate it in peace.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Abby Piper

Notre Dame

Abby is a senior studying English, French and Journalism at the University of Notre Dame but remains obsessed with her hometown St. Louis. She loves running, water skiing, writing, watching Christmas movies all year long and The O.C.'s Seth Cohen.