This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and no, I’m not talking about Christmas. Fall is nearly upon us! If you’re anything like me, you can’t wait to whip out your favorite scarves and boots and stroll around campus with your pumpkin spice latte in hand. But what are you to wear with those fabulous riding boots that you’re dying to break out? A cardigan, of course! Cardigans are warm, stylish, and classic. Adding a cardi can make any outfit immediately look more polished. Here are five of my favorites this fall:

1. Braided Lapel Cardi from Anthropologie: $78

The designers at Anthropologie have a knack for detail. I love the braided lapels and subtle stripes on this cardigan! The muted blue-gray hue would pair well with black slacks for a more formal setting, but would also look great with skinny jeans and boots for a more casual, everyday look.

2. Delicious Date Cardigan from Modcloth: $34.99

My, what a wonderful color combination! Of course, I couldn’t pass this lovely cardi up once I saw it. All bias aside, the green and navy combo has become increasingly common in fashion, and for a good reason. However, if you’re not into navy and green outside of football games, this one also comes in grey and gold.

3. Boyfriend Cardigan from American Eagle Outfitters: $29.95

The boyfriend cardigan is universally flattering, and American Eagle’s version comes in seven different colors! My favorite is the olive shade (pictured above), but summer burgundy is a nice red wine color that is also perfect for fall.

4. Oversized Knit Cardigan from Forever 21: $19.80

This cool cardi is great for those collegiettes who consider their style to be more edgy. It would go well paired with ripped jeans and converse, and the wearer would probably be drinking a soy chai. An added bonus is that this one is super affordable for collegiettes on a budget! 

5. Shawl-Collar Open-Front Cardi from Old Navy: $36.94

Finally, we have a classic draped cardigan from Old Navy. Taupe is always a good choice, as it looks nice with all skin tones and body types. Old Navy offers four other colors as well, and it comes in petite and tall sizes. If you’re looking for a timeless, goes-well-with-everything garment, then look no further!

So when the temperature dips into the fifties, pull on your boots and your new favorite cardigan, and enjoy that warm drink in style.

Follow HCND on Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram, and Like us on Facebook!

Images: Main1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Editor-in-Chief of HCND from 2016-2018.