photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Why The Kardashians Aren’t That Bad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The Kardashian/Jenner/Disick clan literally permeates every part of life. They are everywhere. At a get-together with my co-workers, we turn on the TV and there’s a Keeping Up With the Kardashians marathon. They each have over 5 million followers on Twitter and almost every other post on my Instagram feed is a Kardashian/Jenner (and yes, I do follow all of them).

But I am strangely okay with this overload of makeup-laden selfies and pictures of their luxurious life. I actually, dare I say, like them?

But yet, everyone has this sort of hate for them. Every Cosmo post and every Buzzfeed listicle gets such horrible backlash in the comments section. I do agree that every time Kylie uses the bathroom, Kourtney walks down the street or Kim tweets, it shouldn’t warrant a full-blown article. And yeah, they aren’t really doing much for society nor do they have some great talent.

But who cares? I like them. Probably more than I care to admit. I love watching Kylie’s snaps and want to go to Kendall’s and her meet-and-greets. I think Kendall is just a gorgeous human being who I would love to be BFFs with. And Khloe speaks her mind to the point where I’m saying “Yaaass” every time she says something.

So here are some more reasons why I think the Kardashians aren’t that bad:

Khloe is my Spirit Animal

To me, she is the most real and down-to-earth Kardashian. She always brings a funny twist to the show, and she’s the first to diss the others. She just always makes me laugh.

Kylie is great and kind of hilarious

I follow Kylie on Vine and Snapchat, and she is surprisingly funny. You can see her sass on the show, but her playfullness really comes out on social media.

Kendall is #lifegoals

She is just gorgeous. I cannot get over it. She’s just so effortlessly beautiful and classy. I love stalking her pics from all the events she goes to.

The family is pretty close – and seriously so entertaining

This is the reason that I keep coming back to KUWTK. It’s just such an addicting show, and I feel obliged to watch. This is coming from the girl who finds Jersey Shore quality TV, but still!

Three Words: Lord Scott Disick

Nuff said.

Kourtney’s dry sense of humor

Kourtney is the life of the Kardashians. She always brings the family back to reality with her snarky comments. 

They are a family that is there for each other

Some we see this rich family who lives this incredible lifestyle and want to criticize them. But they are similar to us and care about the same things. 

Khloe is a badass at combating weight critiques

From season 1, Khloe has been ridiculed and called “The Fat Kardashian.” I see nothing wrong with Khloe and she is beautiful. But the way she responds is inspiring and is probably why she is my favorite Kardashian.

They are accepting of one another

Not all families would be as accepting of Caitlyn Jenner as the Kardashian/Jenner clan has been. It obviously was hard at first, as most life-altering changes are, but they are so close and loving with each other. I am so glad that Caitlyn has this kind of support behind her to help with her transition. 

Kanye, Kim and North are so cute

I mean, look at those cheeks!

All the kids are cute

Mason and Penelope are the bomb.com 

Kim’s cry face

I just really wanted to put this here.

Just leave me and my Kardashian love alone. Thanks.

Alani Vargas

Northwestern

Alani is a native to Chicago with a passion for women's rights, journalism and coffee. She is a senior at Northwestern, majoring in journalism at Medill. She's on the magazine track and studied in Florence last fall, advancing her second major in history. Alani has written for Her Campus national and her Northwestern chapter since freshman year and is now the Editor-in-Chief and CC for her chapter. She's also currently a freelancer for Elite Daily When Alani isn't working, binge watching Supergirl, Buffy or the billion other shows she keeps up with, she enjoys music and geeking out over Star Wars or anything Marvel. Follow Alani on twitter and instagram at @alanimv!