books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Quiz: Find Your Perfect Study Spot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Finals week has finally arrived, and students are looking to get some serious studying done in a last attempt to boost those fall quarter grades. If you’re struggling to find just the right environment to memorize endless flashcards or write a 15-page paper, take this quiz and discover your ideal study spot.

What music do you listen to while you study?

a.     Some jazz or classical music, nothing too crazy

b.     Music is too distracting!

c.      Whatever is playing on the radio

d.     You blast your own customized playlists

What’s your ideal study outfit?

a.     Jeans and a warm sweater

b.     Leggings and a t-shirt

c.      Sweats, sweats, sweats

d.     Pajamas

You do your best work…

a.     In a busy public spot

b.     Totally isolated from any noise, people, and all signs of life

c.      With friends

d.     Alone, with the occasional company of one or two people

Besides your books, what do you always need to have on your desk?

a.     A cup of coffee

b.     Absolutely nothing

c.      Your cell phone

d.     Headphones, chapstick, and all of your favorite snacks

How do you take notes?

a.     With a dark pen

b.     With a pencil

c.      On your computer

d.     With your collection of colored pens, pencils, and highlighters

MOSTLY A’s—Coffee shop

For someone who enjoys studying coupled with people watching, a coffee shop’s warm drinks and light music set the perfect scene for some hardcore work. Whether you’re alone or with a friend, you can grab a table amongst the surrounding customers, who are often typing away on their laptops, flipping through books, or chatting over a few lattes, providing you with a solid atmosphere to finish up your stuff. And, of course, there’s a constant access to caffeine—what more could you ask for?

MOSTLY B’s—Library

When it comes to studying, you need to minimize anything that might get in the way of you getting stuff done. If you’re looking for dead silence, but just can’t stand the millions of distractions in your room, head over to one of the campus libraries. At a long table in the Hogwarts-esque Deering, a cubicle in the towers of University, or quiet desk in the corner of Mudd, you’re sure to find perfect place to maximize your productivity.

MOSTLY C’s—Lounge/dining hall

You don’t want to travel too far from your room, but you like a change of scenery and some human interaction while you hit the books. Lounges and dining halls in your dorm or house provide ample space for you to spread out all your work in a more comfortable environment with a few familiar faces, if you’re looking for a friend to take a study break with.

MOSTLY D’s—Your room

Your room is a spot that’s all your own—you can blast your own music, easily access your study snacks, and nobody will complain if you have any obnoxious study habits (as long as your roomie is gone!). It’s a place where its socially acceptable to not change out of your pajamas, or not even ever leave the bed if you want to stay under the covers while you power through those 500 pages of Russian Lit reading you’ve been procrastinating all quarter.