This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Part of the appeal of going to school in Evanston, Illinois is its close proximity to Chicago, but there is definitely something to be said for Evanston itself. It is not necessarily a city, nor is it a typical college town, but it is definitely the perfect in-between. It is a small city that has enough restaurants to keep foodies busy for at least four years, but Evanston is much more than just a conglomerate of Instagram-worthy meals. For those looking for fun activities, it also has a lot of things to do when you find those rare moments that you are not swamped with homework.

Bottle & Bottega

1016 Davis Street, Evanston, IL

Bottle & Bottega is one of the many places for wine and painting classes that are popping up around the country, and it definitely does not disappoint. In case you have not heard of these new trendy locations, it is simply a painting class that you can do with your friends and a glass of wine, assuming you are over the age of 21. However, even if you are still underage, sitting down and painting something you probably could not do without an artist’s help is actually really fun and relaxing.

Sur La Table Cooking Classes

4999 Old Orchard Center, Skokie, IL

OK, technically this is not in Evanston, but the car or Uber ride over is definitely worth it. Located right in the middle of Old Orchard Shopping Center, Sur La Table looks like simply a store, but the kitchen in the back offers a lot of different cooking classes. College students get really accustomed to dining halls and buffet-style dining, so it can be refreshing to go out and cook for yourself everyone once and while. And its location definitely allows for a post-cooking shopping spree.

Locked Chicago – Escape Rooms

820 Davis Street, Evanston, IL

For something a little more active and a bit spooky, look no further than an escape room. Escape rooms are simply mind-blowing. If you and a couple of your friends are free, book a room and pick from one of three different themed adventures at Locked Chicago. The concept of an escape room is that you are locked in a room and have to look for different clues in the room to find your way out, and they are completely thrilling and a great bonding experience.

Lighthouse Beach

2611 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL

Lighthouse Beach is definitely a seasonal perk, but it is a perk just the same. Chicago and its suburbs are known for their harsh winters and strong winds, but the summers are just as nice. The quarter system has both benefits and drawbacks, but being on campus until mid-June puts the end of the quarter in prime summer weather and that is most definitely a benefit. After a long, cold winter, Northwestern students deserve to spend some time at the beach.

Block Museum of Art

40 Arts Circle Drive, Evanston, IL

The Block Museum of Art is an impressive museum right here on campus, but it is often overlooked. The arts circle is definitely not a central point on campus for those students not studying music or fine arts, but it is just a few extra steps from your favorite campus spots, so there is absolutely no excuse not to go. When you think of Chicago museums, you probably think of the Art Institute of Chicago or maybe the Museum of Contemporary Art, but you do not need to travel downtown to appreciate some amazing art.

College students’ schedules are crazy, but try to avoid wasting your free time in bed or aimlessly scrolling through social media. Unless you grew up in Evanston, there is definitely still a ton of exploring left to do. Chicago is an amazing city and Northwestern students are really lucky to live close by, but don’t forget to appreciate your more immediate surroundings as well.

Gifs Courtesy of Giphy