Navigating the Dining Hall: A Realistic Guide to Healthy Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.
We’ve all seen it: the seemingly endless trays of cupcakes and brownies, the mounds of golden-brown french fries, and the weekly foodgasm known only as hot cookie bar.  The task seems daunting, but it is possible to eat healthfully in the dining hall without giving up your favorite foods.  Here are some of my favorite healthy dining hall creations, and yes, you can still indulge in hot cookie bar.

Instead of your normal omelet at breakfast, ask for an egg white omelet filled with cheese and as many veggies as you’d like.  You’ll still get all that rich, savory goodness and high-quality egg protein without the added fat from the ham or bacon.

A warm omelet is perfect for a cold Evanston morning!

Craving carbs?  Go for it, but top your bread with peanut or almond butter, both of which have healthy unsaturated fats as well as protein for staying power.  Pick whole-wheat bread, but make sure the label says “100% whole grain,” because many brands of wheat bread have no more fiber than regular white bread!

That dining hall granola may be good, but granola is often full of sugar and fat, and the serving size is tiny!  Instead of a bowl of granola, have one or two small scoops, and top it with a sliced banana and some peanut butter or skim milk.  Or, mix granola (or your favorite sugary cereal) with a bland, whole grain cereal like Cheerios or bran flakes.  You’ll get all the flavor of the granola, but it will last longer!

A tasty breakfast parfait!

Instead of munching on a big pile of french fries, have a few (10 fries are approximately 100 calories) and load your plate with carrot sticks and dip.  That satisfying crunch will still be there, but with less of the saturated fat. Pick a dip like hummus or low-fat ranch dressing, or even ketchup to keep up with the french fry theme!

Carrots and ranch dip make me feel like a little kid again!

The best bet for healthy eating in the dining hall is, of course, the salad bar!  Pile up your plate with all the veggies you’d like, and top it with low-fat dressing.  Avoid the tempting toppings: croutons, bacon bits, and crunchy lo mein noodles only add extra fat without filling you up.  If you must have a topping, go for sunflower seeds, which are full of fiber and healthy fats, or feta cheese which, while high in saturated fat, is also high in calcium.

My favorite salad: carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, mushrooms, tofu cubes, and balsamic vinegar!

When it comes to dessert, the key is moderation.  Look at all the desserts before you decide which one to pick, and if there aren’t any that really look good to you, just skip it!  If you’re craving something sweet but don’t want to overdo it, go for plain yogurt topped with a sprinkling of ice cream toppings.  There’s usually Oreo cookies, sprinkles, or crushed candies near the ice cream station, so pick one and enjoy your guilt-free yogurt parfait.

Butterscotch chips are delicious with yogurt – don’t knock it until you try it!

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/eating-help/calories/how-many-calories-are-you-really-eating/
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3079/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/18/2

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.