Meet A & O Member: Maddie Thomas!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.
Name: Maddie Thomas
Age: 20
Major: Radio/Television/Film
Hometown: Rochester, NY

1. What are your impressions of Beyonce’s ‘Lemonade’ visual album?
My impressions are constantly evolving with each re-watch, but currently I am OBSESSED with Lemonade and think it’s Beyonce’s boldest and smartest album to date. The whole thing is like, high art. Right?? But so palatable, and the message is so raw, the conversation surrounding betrayal and what marriage really means. It’s this huge feminist statement and also a love letter to Beyonce’s identity as a black woman. Whether or not it’s actually about Beyonce and Jay-Z’s relationship, the quality is so high in every aspect, I can’t not feel a strong emotional truth at the core. It’s honest and flawed. I’m not sure how I feel about it being released exclusively on Tidal, but I was talking to a friend about it and we kind of came to the conclusion that the Tidal release is almost a statement that regardless of what happens with their romantic relationship, they are partners in business and parenthood and life, and that’s not going to change. I’ve seen a bunch of tweets about the similarities between Beyonce and Hillary Clinton in this respect, which I find absolutely fascinating. Clearly I could talk about Lemonade for hours lol.  

2. What are your favorite TV shows?
Oh my god, I have so many favorites and the list changes alllll the time, but right now I’d say: Broad City, Girls, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Jane The Virgin, Mindy Project (against all odds), Nathan For You, Veep, and Inside Amy Schumer.

3. Tell me the story of the first time you met a famous person.
Last year for my birthday I got front row tickets to see John Mulaney in Chicago, but the show was on the night of Dillo. Literally everyone I knew was like “there’s no way you’re gonna be alive enough post-Dillo to make it to this show” but I decided I had to at least TRY. Then, as we all know, Dillo was canceled (RIP Dillo 2k15). So I ended up not only making it to the show, but also sitting front row for his Netflix special taping. I then got to meet him after the show, which was the most surreal, cool thing ever. He is very pleasant and well-dressed.

4. Which celebrity would you want to meet and why?
I’m a huge fan of Jenny Slate. She’s one of the smartest, funniest, most unique performers and I think we’d have a lot of fun, no pressure. She strikes me as very chill and also very down to just like, hang. And then obviously I’d love to meet Tina Fey, and talk about writing and her process. But I think everyone wants to meet Tina Fey. 

5. What are your plans for this summer?
I’m interning at Adam Scott’s production company, Gettin’ Rad Productions, doing comedy film/television development! Basically reading a lot of scripts and learning a ton of different stuff about the industry.

6. What is your dream job?
I want to write. I personally favor TV, but movies would be cool too. I pretty much just want to work on creative stuff with other creative people.

7. Who has been your favorite A&O artist/speaker and why?
I’m lucky because we’ve brought so many of my dream speakers since I’ve been here, so it’s really hard to pick a favorite. I think if I hadn’t been abroad for Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer in the fall, I might pick them because I love their comedic sensibilities and Broad City so much. But of the shows I have been here for, I think my favorite was Nathan Fielder. He put on such an off-putting and hilarious show. He’s one of those comedic personalities that is so strong and specific he can play off of anyone and be funny.

8. Who would be your dream A&O artist/speaker?
In a dream world, I would love to bring someone huge, maybe someone who doesn’t do a lot of colleges. Amy Schumer, Louie C.K., Chris Rock, Stephen Colbert, or Jon Stewart would be so dope. 

Photos from Facebook and giphy.com