Meet CEO of For Real Dough, Michelle Schechter!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Michelle Schechter

Year: Class of 2015, senior

Major: Theater major, with a musical theater certificate and business minor

Michelle Schecter is the CEO and founder of For Real Dough, a company that creates raw cookie dough that is edible and safe! It has no eggs or dairy and therefore doesn’t even need to be refrigerated. For more information on the company visit their website www.forrealdough.com and if you have questions, email Michelle directly at forrealdoughbakery@gmail.com. You can even check out their instagram @forrealdoughbakery!

1. How did For Real Dough turn into a reality?

I was enrolled in an Entrepreneurship class last Spring with Professor Moyer (an incredible class, highly highly recommended to anyone at NU) in which I came up with the idea for on-the-go edible raw cookie dough.  With the help of President Shapiro, Northwestern faculty, friends, and family, this summer the idea was turned into a reality!

2. What are you responsibilities as CEO?

As CEO and owner/founder of For Real Dough, I oversee everything to do with the business.  I actually personally produce the dough, as well as take meetings, phone calls, oversee marketing, finances, and projections.  This experience has been an invaluable one in how much I’ve learned.  It’s incredibly empowering to be a female entrepreneur and CEO, especially at 21.

3. What has your experience been like so far?

It’s honestly been a dream come true.  The number of supporters that have allowed this to become real is beyond anything I could have ever imagined.  It’s a reality because of how many people have believed in it and offered their help.  It’s a huge time-commitment but one that’s never seemed negative or stressful.  I love what I do and I feel lucky every single day that this has come so far already.

4. What was your proudest moment as CEO?

Oh I’ve had so many.  One of my proudest moments as CEO was probably my first pitch to President Shapiro.  I was in his office, explaining the idea to him, and one by one he started calling people who were passing by into his office and had me begin my explanation again.  By the time I was done, there were probably 10-15 people in his office extremely excited about the idea, smiling and laughing over samples of cookie dough.

5. What inspired the company?

A lot inspires me, and therefore the company.  In general, I’m inspired by the beautiful people in my life who make me love and exist as my true self.  Cookie dough is kind of connected to that for me.  Memories of baking with my family and my two older sisters, just having fun at such a young age that there’s almost no awareness yet of being judged or feeling inconsequential.  Cookie dough feels safe to me, feels like comfort, reminds me of home and family and true love and support.  This company stands for that.  I would also love for it to inspire others to act on ideas they believe in, to follow things they dream about, no matter how young they are, their gender, or what other people say.

6. What are your aspirations for the future of FRD?

I just want to get it to as many people as possible.  I love the idea of customization and individualization, especially with desserts.  I would love for it to become a party favor used at weddings or bat mitzvahs or other celebrations.  I would love for people in California to be able to send cookie dough to someone they love in New York.