Making New Holiday Traditions at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

I’m sure we all know what time of year it is by now (I’ll give you a hint: Merry…). You also know what else that means, don’t you? We’ll probably be dreading the last couple weeks of class and finals, and missing the days when we could relax at home with family  while participating in the usual holiday traditions. After all, that’s what holidays are for, right? That sense of comfort, love and feeling completely at peace. The repetition year after year of family traditions is a huge part of that.

Although that might be missing from your routine for the first couple of weeks of December, there are ways to make the most of the holiday season even while you’re still away at college finishing out the semester strong. Changing your perception of what really ecompasses a tradition can also change your perspective and outlook this holiday season. There’s no reason to wait until you finish that last final to begin your holly and jolly moments. Start creating new holiday traditions while you’re still on campus!

Go into the city! (and enjoy whatever holiday festivities/lights/shopping there is).

Set aside the homesick woes that come with wistfully daydreaming of all of the holiday festivities you went to every year with family back in your hometown. Instead, seek to explore the events going on in whatever city is closest to your campus. And if your campus is located in the middle of a city–even better.

Yes, the last few weeks can be incredibly hectic, but setting some time to explore a city –that you have the opportunity to be so close to because of college– is pretty freakin’ cool. Grab your close group of friends and start this yearly tradition of heading into the city for some Christmas-sy, instagram-worthy fun.

Bake something!

Have a friend with an apartment? I’m betting that apartment also comes with an oven…which it would be a shame not to use considering all the yummy holiday recipes available on the marvelous world wide web with just one simple click of the Google search button.

Round up your favorites and host a little holiday soiree. Sure, it’s great to gather with family when preparing meals for the holiday, but that doesn’t mean you can’t also pick up a few yummy traditions with your friends at school. An even messier (and fun idea): host a little gingerbread building competition. You won’t regret it. 

Cuddling up with some good ole’ holiday movies.

I’m sorry, but I just can’t wait any additional weeks until I’m home to watch Elf for the first time this December. I simply refuse to do it. There are certain movies that are of course off-limits–my family and I have a tradition of watching the Polar Express every year on Christmas Eve. (I’m not kidding, we’ve actually done this for a while without fail).

However, if you and your family have a really special movie that’s an exclusive tradition–and you’d possibly be shunned come Holiday season if you broke it-it’s okay to save some for back home. But there’s still a whole host of options out there. That’s why Netflix was invented. And don’t even get me started on the ABC Family 25 Days of Christmas Marathon because it’s pretty darn addictive and there are tons of good options to enjoy while you’re away.

The great thing about traditions is that they’re always there. But rather than sink into a bit of a grinchy mood while you await your freedom from school, try making some new traditions that you can carry out with friends from here on out. Happy Holidays collegiates!

Haley Smith

Northwestern

Haley is currently a Journalism major at Northwestern University, Sociology minor. She is also pursuing a certificate in Integrated Marketing Communications. She has written for several campus publications and is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. She has a few unhealthy habits that include obsessing over British boys with good hair, wanting to watch way too many eighties movies and lurking on various forms of social media.