Lipstick Tips and Tricks for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

There are few things I love more about a makeup look than an absolutely bomb  lip color. The lips can be expressive, colorful and definitely play up the sexiness of a look. As someone who has recently been on a lipstick rampage (I need to be stopped), it’s funny to think back on a couple of years ago when I was a complete rookie to the world of lip color. There are so many color options, so many brands–and how do I even keep the color off my teeth?

The truth is, every collegiate woman can and should be able to have a few lip colors in her arsenal that really pack a punch. There are relatively few rules when it comes to wearing lipstick, but if you just don’t know where to start, here are all of the major things  that I’ve learned about rockin’ lip colors.

Find the perfect red is a neverending search. But it’s crucial to keep trying. Everything about wearing a red lip has always fascinated me. It screams of confidence, timeless beauty and just an all around classic look (especially when paired with winged liner). When it comes to testing shades of red, try swatching the color on the inside of your wrist instead of the back of your hand. It typically gives a more realistic visual  of how the color will actually look.

The perfect red must, must, must suit your skin tone! The color might look amazing on one girl but just not be suitable for someone else. That’s perfectly okay! Some of the most raved-about reds out there range from the sultry and deep like MAC’s Russian Red to the bright cherry-colored L’oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipcolour in British Red. Other options include Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in True Red (a more orange-y tinge). One of the truest reds I’ve encountered is actually the lip tar by Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics in the shade true, balanced red. The main thing is to get out there and start searching!

Remember learning how to color inside the lines? Although I’m usually stubborn, and still opt out of this step all the time, lip liners really are a game changer if you’re trying to be a big-time lipstick player. They come in just about every shade you can imagine, but the most convenient option is to invest in a really good clear lip liner. This can be universally used no matter what shade your actual lip color is! The Sephora brand makes a great one. Lip liners can be found just about anywhere from the high-end all the way to drugstore brands. Regardless of which one you chose, make sure that the formula is nice and creamy. I recommend lining before applying your lipstick during the daytime as it helps you to have a guide, but after for nighttime because it maximizes staying power.

The thumb trick. One of the trickiest parts about wearing color on your lips? It doesn’t always stay there. To prevent any worry about your lipstick staining your pearly whites, simply stick your thumb in your mouth and run it along the inside of your lips. This should prevent the color payoff on your inner lip from getting all over your teeth. It also just helps the color to stay in place way better for some reason. This is key for those deep , dark and oh-so-good fall/winter plums and wines that we see bombarding the beauty world. Some deeper-toned favorites that are great for even beginner lipstick wearers include Nars Pure Matte Lipstick in Volga, Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Blissful Berry, and Revlon Super Lustrous in Cherries in the Snow.

People will stare at your mouth. No seriously. If you’re finding that more people’s eyes are wandering towards your lips while you’re having a conversation, it’s probably not your imagination. Part of what was intimidating to me about wearing lipstick at all in the beginning was the fact that it will draw so much more attention to your mouth. Granted, bold colored lipsticks will naturally become the focal part of your makeup look just by the sheer attention-grabbing factor they hold. But even a nice neutral like the Revlon Super Lustrous Pearl Lipstick in Ipanema Beach can emphasize your pout. This can be uncomfortable at first, but as long as you feel amazing and confident, the rest of it all falls away.

It sometimes comes down to the Lazy Factor. If I don’t have time for a full-face of makeup, or even for eyeshadow and/or eyeliner, having a go-to lip color is sometimes a life-saver. There’s no better way to bring instant glam and effortless cool to your daily look. Going for girl’s night out? A cranberry lip is my absolute favorite option. Try Rimmel’s Lasting Finish by Kate Moss in the shade 07. I’ve been using this same color for about 2 years now, and I’ve recommended it way too many times. I never use a lip liner with this one, and it will barely even budge. I also think cranberry shades are generally flattering on most people’s complexion. Blot with a napkin when using this color if you want a more mattified-just-ate-berries-now-I-have-stained-lips type of look. It sounds odd, but looks stunning!

It’s all about trying new things. It might take a while before you’re fully comfortable with wearing lipstick. And that’s part of the fun! Wearing it for a while to get used to it is all a part of the process. Some people prefer starting with the basic pinks and working their way up to the harsher colors. My personal favorite pinks include the Stila Color Balm Lipstick in Amelia (it has great shine) and NYX Butter Lipstick in Sweet Tart. Others may prefer to dive right into to unique colors such as Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick in Siren which is a gorgeous orange-tone or even MAC Matte Lipstick in Candy Yum Yum which is a cool-toned pinky-pink that’s a startlingly bright shade.

With makeup, the more you practice the better you get! Getting an even, perfectly lined and flawless red lip might take a few tries (and several tubes of different shades before you find the right fit). Just remember that the key is feeling good and expressing yourself through whatever color you feel that day. The first time I put on a color that I just fell in love with, I instantly understood why some people have such a thing for wearing lipstick! The most important advice I can give is to just try it out now, don’t wait because any moment could use some extra color!

Haley Smith

Northwestern

Haley is currently a Journalism major at Northwestern University, Sociology minor. She is also pursuing a certificate in Integrated Marketing Communications. She has written for several campus publications and is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. She has a few unhealthy habits that include obsessing over British boys with good hair, wanting to watch way too many eighties movies and lurking on various forms of social media.