I Tried: Going Out Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Over the spring break, I chose to stay in Evanston, leaving me quite friendless for several days as many people decided to head home for the break. I took this as an opportunity, though, to try something I’ve never done before—going out and having fun on my own!

Being alone isn’t as grim as everyone makes it out to be. For many people, it can be difficult to distinguish between loneliness and being alone. If you’re introverted like me, for instance, having that time to yourself is exactly what you need to feel recharged and relaxed. But being by yourself doesn’t necessarily have to mean sitting around the house or locking yourself away in your room all day. There are plenty of opportunities to go out, have fun and enjoy the day!

What I Did:

Going to the Movies

Now, going out to the movies or a restaurant by yourself may seem scary—at least I thought it might be at first—but it’s really not as bad as sad television montages have led us to believe. In fact, it can be a lot of fun!  

Going to the movies on my own meant I got to make a spur of the moment decision to head to the theater without having to worry about interrupting anyone else’s plans. Once I got there, I was able to pick exactly what I wanted to watch, which snacks I wanted and where I wanted to sit, all without having to consult anyone else. Sure, I didn’t have anyone next to me to turn to and comment about a particularly funny or terrifying scene—except maybe the delicious bag of popcorn I didn’t have to share—but I had just as much fun jumping at unexpected scenes and following the movie all on my own.  

Visiting the Museum

Another first I tried over the break was heading into Chicago by myself and visiting the Art Institute. Even though I’ve taken the train on my own several times before, I still worry that I might get off at the wrong stop. This is usually where I’ll rely on my friends to scoot towards the door and signal that it’s time to switch or that we’ve reached our stop. Taking the trip into Chicago on my own, though—and making it to my destination—gave me a sense of accomplishment because I was able to get where I was going without anyone else’s help.

Once I arrived at the museum—with a little bit of help from Google maps—I was free to wander to any exhibit I felt like seeing, doubling back to see the ones I liked most a second time and taking as long as I wanted to examine each and every piece of art I saw. I even got to see the exhibit for one of my favorite artists—Vincent Van Gogh—and spend as much time as I wanted reading over his old letters, examining the way he’s art style changed over time and learning more about his life, all without having to worry about falling behind in the group or keeping anyone from moving on to another exhibit.

Eating at a Restaurant

One more thing I tried over the break was going to a restaurant on my own for the first time. I chose to go to Le Peep. While this may sound like the most awkward place of all to go on your own, it actually wasn’t that bad once I gave it a chance. Asking for a table for one really didn’t feel as strange as I thought it would, and it even got me seated faster. Though I did miss having someone to consult about what they thought looked good on the menu, once my food came I didn’t have to wait for anyone else’s to arrive before eating mine. I also would have liked to have someone to talk to in between bites of a delicious breakfast, but it was also nice to have some time to myself to think and just enjoy my meal. This may be one activity I enjoy more when I’m with other people, but it was definitely worth the experience!

Conclusions

After making the decision to be my own best friend for a few days and spend time with myself, I have come to a few conclusions. First of all, nothing turned out to be as scary or awkward as I thought it might be. No one judged me for being out on my own and I felt comfortable having time to myself to enjoy activities I otherwise wouldn’t have done because I didn’t have a friend to join me.

Secondly, going out on my own gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted and to explore my own interests more. It gave me the opportunity to have my own experiences in different places, without the influence of anyone else.

And finally, I had a great time! Going out by myself was a mini adventure that taught me a lot about myself, what I enjoy and that it’s completely okay to go out on your own. If I’ve learned anything from this experience, it’s that you shouldn’t let anything stop you from doing what you enjoy and from living life. So, next time your friends can’t make it to the movies, try going anyway. It’s worth it, especially if it means more popcorn for you!