Her Campus Hits: Albums and EPs to Listen to from March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Check out these four new albums and EP’s from the month of March!

Expectations- Hayley Kiyoko

Hayley Kiyoko first gained fame in her role as Velma Dinkley on the Cartoon Network’s “Scooby Doo” and is now often heralded among her fan base as “Lesbian Jesus”, as she offers representation that is not often seen in pop. Kiyoko debut album is a sexy 13 song work that shows her talent in smart lyrics and strong choruses. Especially strong tracks include “Feelings” “What I Need” and “Curious,” but avoid “Palm Dreams”.

California- Diplo   

This project is a fun listen because of the many featured artists on this six-song EP by Diplo, which include DRAM, Desiigner and MØ. The variation in artists do make this a rather mixed bag of songs in terms of style, but strong tracks include “Look Back” with DRAM who’s strong, unique sound shines here and “Get it Right” with GoldLink and MØ is a more upbeat song on what is overall a slower and sadder project from the ubiquitous Diplo.

My Dear Melancholy,- The weeknd 

The Weeknd’s (Abel Tesfaye) latest project comes shortly after his breakup with pop star Selena Gomez, making it highly likely that the six song EP with mostly blue songs is a direct result of the shattered relationship. The biggest variation between this and Tesfaye’s recent albums is the slower pacing of this EP, which strays from the higher energy of “Beauty Behind the Madness” and “Starboy” that made him the pop star he is today. There is also not a great deal of variation in sound or mood across the six tracks. While this is not the most exciting project ever, it’s nice to listen when your in mood a melancholy mood, true to the title.

Something To Remember- Haux   

Another EP coming in at six songs this month is this gem from Haux (Woodson Black), which was released with a companion short film. Haux has a truly lovely voice that is displayed in the slow, tender songs that make up this piece. The lyrics are haunting and poetic as he tells the stories of past relationships. This project is gorgeous and leaves the listener craving for a full-length album in the future. 

Images courtesy of Creative Commons.