Fashion Icons Today: Princess Diana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The classics never do actually fade and nothing in fashion is ever really new. We draw on the icons because that’s what they are- examples of what always work in fashion. This week, we take a look into the closet of the People’s Princess, Lady Diana, for a taste of royal fashion in 2012. (Kate Middleton, take notes!)

Dress, Clutch, Shoes, Hair Pin, Bracelet
Diana Photo Credit: fashion.about.com

Daring is the word still used to describe Diana’s style. She took risks and this Carolina Herrera number is no exception. Mixing bright floral with a futuristic silhouette is a tricky thing to pull off, but Di does it flawlessly. All we have to do is shorten the hem a bit for a more versatile wear and this Diana inspired look is ready to go! We added the pop of pattern with a handy tribal clutch and kept the rest of our accessories clean cut and neutral to focus all the attention on the stunning dress.

Belt, Sunglasses, Shirt, Pants, Shoes, Bracelet
Diana Photo Credit: royalprincessdiana.tumblr.com

Being an avid attendee of the Royal Polo matches was never a reason for Diana to allow her wardrobe to suffer. Sightings of her at these events give us a glimpse of her casual wear outside of the elegant ballgowns, and Lady Di did not fail to disappoint. Updating her nautical bottoms with a modern skinny cut will add a new twist for you. Diana was on point with her boho accessories though, and her purple shades and wooden bracelet all fit perfectly well into 2012.

Skirt, Purse, Shoes, Earrings, Shirt, Beanie
Diana Photo Credit: lovelydianaprincessofwales.tumblr.com

Like every ladylike princess, Diana was always sure to well honor a nation’s culture and customs when visiting, often expressing her respect through her clothing. Here is a case of her probably overdoing the sincerity a bit, but fashion lessons can be learned from this! Using plaid in only one piece of the outfit doesn’t overwhelm and adds a grown-up schoolgirl touch. Adding a tie-front blouse adds an unkempt balance to the plaid as well. Using urban neutrals for the accessories will make sure you stay quite pretty in plaid without going overboard.

Dress, Earrings, Necklace, Shoes, Clutch
Diana Photo Credit: courtneyluv.com

I hate to be biased, but this is probably my favorite Diana look of them all. I’ve loved this dress since I was a little girl but my favorite part has always been how clever Diana was to flip around a necklace for an unexpected look. Our replica shortens up the hemline, but keeps the elegant velvet material and deep back drop. A knotted beaded necklace is less costume-y than fake pearls, (unless you happen to have real ones on hand, lucky girl.) Finishing up with a palette of rose gold pieces adds a girly note to this rather daring stunner.

Skirt, Blazer, Blouse, Shoes, Purse

Diana chose the blazer-and-skirt combo for a number of her outings on official business trips. We all know you high-achieving collegiates can take her cue for a newly updated look at your own work/internship. The high-low trend is nicely completed with a classic blazer in a bright summery color. With these eye-catching pieces, Diana was wise to keep the accessories low-key- so we suggest nude and black accessories as well. And you’re set to go!

Good luck collegiates, and channel your inner Lady Di!

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo