This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Every year the most coveted awards of Oscar season are the best dressed list – although everyone looked absolutely stunning last night. The women who shined bright both on screen and off last night were awarded with both nominations, and a place on this list.

(image provided by Headline Planet)

Auli’i Cravalho stunned at her first red carpet event, looking better at 16 than basically any 16 year old has the right to look. The designer of her beautiful gown is Rubin Singer, and we’re pretty sure if she keeps looks (and performances!) like this up, she won’t have to keep wondering how far she’ll go

(Image provided by the Oscars)

Chrissy Teigan may have shown up to support husband John Legend’s Oscar bid, but the spitfire model stole the show in her Zuhair Murad gown with a tasteful slit and a cape that says she belongs here just as much as her husband. Keep rocking Chrissy.

(Image provided by The Oscars)

Emma Roberts called back to her Aunt Julia’s iconic black and white look from her first Oscar win in a beautiful Armani Privè gown that outshined actual nominee Michelle Williams’ very similar dress.

(Image Courtesy of the New York Times)

Emma Stone shined like the Oscar she won for Best Actress in this beautiful twenties fringe style Givency Haute Couture gown. Her classic elegance shown through in this classic call back to old hollywood, and perfectly represented both herself and the movie for which she earned the Oscar. Congrats Emma!

(Image Courtesy of Daily Mail)

Just 6 short years after rocking the read carpet for the first time for her True Grit nomination, the adorable Hailee Steinfeld kicks things up to mature in arguably the most stunning dress of the night, a shimmering Ralph & Russo dress that looks as dreamy as floating on a cloud. Great job Haiz!

(Image courtesy of the Huffington Post)

Janelle Monae shone bright in this gorgeous full skirted, sequined, black gown by Elie Saab. While many news outlets called this a fashion risk rather than reward, Monae absolutely glows in this gorgeous creation.

(Image Courtesy of The Oscars)

Much like her last appearance at the Oscars, Priyanka Chopra wore a stunning white and silver geometric gown by Lorraine Schwartz.

(Image Courtesy of The Oscars)

Hidden Figures star Taraji P. Henson is another candidate for best dress of the nigh, rocking a beautiful midnight blue velvet Alberta Ferretti creation. It’s romantic and sexy while also extremely elegant. The Actress looks flat out amazing!

(Image Courtesy of Vogue)

Fences Actress and Best Supporting Actress Winner Viola Davis looked magnificent in a bold red Armani Privè gown. If her gorgeous smile doesn’t tell you how great she looks and feels in the dress, I don’t know what else will.

While every woman should be far more recognized for her accomplishments than her fashion, these women took their successes and shone confidently on the red carpet, ready to be recognized for their amazing achievements while looking unstoppable. Who says you can’t have it all?