5 Things to Do On Campus Before SUMMER

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

I know we are all incredibly eager for summer to begin, considering our friends have been home for almost an entire month.  However, before we rush out of here after our last final, we should all take a second to take Northwestern in and reflect on this past year.  It is springtime and finally beautiful outside, so go cherish these last few days in the sun with your friends.  Here are a few ideas of what to do on campus before you head home:

1.     Go hang out on the lakefill

Yes, yes, we just spent an incredible amount of time there on Dillo Day, but come on…it is just too beautiful not to see once more before you leave.  This last winter was long and rough, and we need to remind ourselves how beautiful and warm this campus can be.  Go home with the beautiful vision of Chicago across Lake Michigan in mind.  Grab food from Whole Foods and have a nice little picnic on the grass.  It’s a perfect study break, as well as a great excuse to see the sun amidst the cramming sessions in the library.

2.     Order in some of that famous deep dish!

Whether you are from Chicago or not, the deep dish pizza from Giordano’s and Lou Malnati’s is something to have once more before you head home.  No one will judge you for ordering a box during finals week.  In fact, you will most likely have some neighbors knocking on your door because they could smell it from down the hall.  There’s no shame in some comfort food while you’re studying, and you are also immersing yourself in the Chicago culture from the comfort of your own bed.  So invite a few friends over and split a box and a bottle of wine!  You know you want to. Come on. It’s calling your name.

3.     Swag yourself out with NU gear

Since football season, you haven’t had a reason to wear an NU cap around campus, or an NU t-shirt anywhere else than your bed.  But you are going to miss this place over summer, so grab some last minute swag to show what’s left of your high school friend group that YOU ARE A WILDCAT.  Be proud and wear that new sweatshirt to the airport-you deserve to show off that you just finished an incredibly difficult quarter.

*If you are so inclined, I am sure you could rock that purple wig.  Go ‘cats!

4.     Do something spontaneous

For many of us, come summer, we return home to our families.  They are loving, supportive of all we do, and they truly missed you while you were away.  REALLY MISSED YOU.  Like A LOT.  Especially if you’re coming out of freshman year. Be prepared to be smothered with love, which will probably make you miss the freedom Northwestern provides.  So before you leave, go do something…anything…you want to do.  You don’t need to let anyone know what you’re doing or when you’ll get back(still be safe).  Enjoy exploring some new area of campus you haven’t seen, or trying some restaurant in Evanston you’ve only heard of.  Why?  Because you can.

5.     “Meet me at Norris”

Go hang out with friends, study, or people watch at Norris.  These are the last few days before summer that you’ll be surrounded by the Northwestern student community.  You’ll bump into friends you haven’t seen in a while that you can say goodbye to, and maybe you’ll even meet someone new.  Engage in the community primarily made of students experiencing the same thing you are.  You’re all around the same age, trying to figure out what you want to do with your life.  It’s a comforting feeling when you realize you’re not alone.  That’s a feeling specific to college campuses and the Northwestern community that everyone should experience before summer begins.

Happy Summer! 

photo credits: Northwestern University, Spongebob

Lina Hebert

Northwestern

Lina Hebert is a rising junior at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois.  She is currently majoring in pyschology with the intention of going into marketing.  Through Her Campus and other organizations, she has gained valuable experience with writing, social media and event planning.  However, Lina's interests are not only limited to psychology and marketing; she was the fourth spoon from the left in Beauty and the Beast at age ten.  She is an inspired and devoted student, learner, blogger and nutella enthusiast.