15 Thoughts You Have Before Going to an Adele Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

I have been looking forward to this summer for months. No, it’s not because I get to go home to sunny Los Angeles. It is because this summer I will be seeing the insanely talented Adele at the Staples Center. Adele is arguably the best vocalist making music right now, so of course I can barely contain my excitement. But, I need to make sure I am emotionally and physically ready to be graced by her presence. Here’s just a glimpse of what I’ll be contemplating all summer:

1.     Thank you for this blessing.

I am so grateful to my friend for actually purchasing the concert tickets for me. I was originally planning on trying to get them the day they were released, when they predictably sold out in minutes. Thankfully, my friend was among the group of people who could purchase tickets a day before they went on sale. You cannot find a better friend than one who surprises you with Adele tickets!

2.     How many packs of tissues should I buy?

It’s no secret Adele’s music makes everyone emotional. I plan to pack as many small tissue cases as possible. The whole audience is bound to be blubbering after the first song.

3.     Should I brag on social media?

Usually I get irritated when my feed on multiple social media platforms is dominated with videos from a show I did not get tickets to. Come August, I will be that annoying person. My entire snap story will be devoted to Adele.

4.     Avoid all 25 tour videos at all costs.

Whenever I know I will see a popular artist whose tour is extensively covered in the media, I try my hardest to avoid any news stories about the concert. I don’t like to spoil the event, so I have not watched any videos of Adele performing on this tour.

5.     Will I be able to sleep the night before?

I could barely sleep when I found out I was going! I don’t know how I will make it through the night before. I expect to sleep for only three hours due to an adrenaline rush and then immediately crash after the concert.

6.     What do you wear to see the Queen?

It is absolutely unacceptable to see Adele in anything I have worn before. A shopping spree will probably take place the week of. Not sure what to wear yet, but I will definitely be wearing heels because it is a necessary evil for a short person who is attending a crowded concert.

7.     Do people dance at Adele concerts?

Since I haven’t watched any recent videos of Adele’s live performances, I do not know what type of atmosphere her concerts have. Regardless, I will be dancing. I never understand why people are too afraid to show off their crazy dance moves when listening to live music. I will feel no shame.

8.     How many high notes should I attempt to hit throughout the night?

It’s a given that when she sings “When We Were Young” I will convince myself I can nail the big high note before the final chorus. Hopefully, it will be so loud no one will suffer from my singing attempts. Good luck to the people seated next to me.

9.     What hilarious, inappropriate thing will she say at my concert?

Ignoring the media coverage surrounding Adele Live 2016 has proven to be difficult considering she does something comical on almost every stop. One of the things that makes Adele universally loved is her care-free and honest personality. I can’t wait for her to do something ridiculous on stage!

10.  How early is too early to arrive?

Traffic in Los Angeles is the worst. I have had the opportunity to see other big name artists at the Staples Center, like Taylor Swift, and the streets surrounding the arena are always blocked off. I might have to get there a few hours early if it means I can escape the late crowd.

11.  I hope the set list includes “Sweetest Devotion.”

Out of all the diverse songs on 25, “Sweetest Devotion” is definitely one of my favorites. Adele’s son inspired her to write this song, so I think she will sing it on stage. I also want her to sing some classics from her older albums like “Make You Feel My Love” and “One and Only.”

12.  Are Adele fans crazy?

I have had too many experiences of being surrounded by frantic people who cannot control themselves when they see their favorite musician. I can recall being hit on the head with a glow stick multiple times at a One Direction concert by a tween. Adele’s fans seem to span all age ranges, so I am optimistic that I will not leave this event with a headache.

13.  What type of staging will she have?

Adele is not the type of musician who needs outlandish production, crazy outfits, and multiple dancers to make her performances interesting. Her voice is enough to keep people entertained, but I do hope she has some visual effects to switch things up from her previous television appearances.

14.  How many times should I plan to cry throughout the concert?

Typically, I would suffer from permanent embarrassment if I was caught uncontrollably weeping in front of strangers. But, I know it will be inevitable, hence why I will be storing so many tissues. I will just have to calm myself when it gets to the point that there are way too many tears and my friends have to pretend not to know me.

15.  Will I survive this experience?

Probably not. Truly, I don’t think I can actually anticipate what it will be like to finally see one of my favorite musicians in person. But, I do know it will be even greater than what I expect. Is it August yet?

**All images from giphy.com

Ariana is a Los Angeles native who is obsessed with fashion, celebrities, music, and food. She is a journalism student in Medill at Northwestern University who enjoys reading fashion and entertainment blogs and magazines. Ariana's favorite things to do are travel, explore Los Angeles, discover new music groups, and of course watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Ariana loves writing and sharing her experiences with you and hopes you enjoy reading her stories.