Where to Second-Hand Shop in Boston!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.
One of the advantages of going to school in the city of Boston is all the shopping- when we can afford it of course! As college students, between our school books, rent and morning coffees, our budgets are certainly tight. Second-hand stores are not only just as good (sometimes even better) than regular stores, but they are bank account friendly too. Say goodbye to the pricey shops in the Prudential and Copley; the best second-hand stores of Boston are just around the corner. As they say, “one person’s trash is another person’s treasure.”

Second Time Around

Too poor for couture? Second Time Around (STA) consignment shop is the place for you. Located on both Newbury and Charles Street in Boston, Mass., STA is an “upscale consignment company,” where you can find second-hand designer clothes at
very reasonable prices. STA carries designers like Manolo Blahnik and much more. STA also encourages consignors to drop off their designer pieces, and offers the convenience of setting up an appointment online! Visit www.secondtimearound.net to learn more.

Buffalo Exchange

Lately, Buffalo Exchange, located on Harvard Avenue in Allston, has been the talk of fashion in my circle of friends at Northeastern. Based on the values of reselling old and new clothing, Buffalo Exchange has a large selection of new and old designer clothing, as well as vintage pieces. If you’re looking for an easy consignment experience, Buffalo Exchange is the perfect place. When you bring your items in, whether it’s your old jeans or t-shirts, you can get cash, or trade them on the spot.

After recently visiting Buffalo Exchange, Northeastern University junior Emily Falconer said, “You immediately get your money’s worth. It encourages you to use their business and you also get something out of it.”

Raspberry Beret

Recently nominated as one of the Boston Phoenix’s Best of 2011, Raspberry Beret specializes in secondhand and vintage clothing, as well as handmade and new items. Located on Massachusetts Avenue in Cambridge, Raspberry Beret prides themselves for  only selling unique items. If you can’t fit a visit into the store into your schedule, no problem! Raspberry Beret also has an online store. To do a little shopping, or find out what they are carrying RIGHT now, visit www.raspberryberet.us.

The Closet

Located on Newbury Street, The Closet is a second hand store for men and women, selling a slew of designer names. All items are no more than two years old, which reassures me that the merchandise is in mint condition! If you’re looking to consign your clothes, The Closet splits the profit of the sale 50/50, which isn’t so bad for our college wallets.

Poor Little Rich Girl

Located on Newbury Street and in Davis Square, Poor Little Rich Girl has been named “Best Consignment Store,” by Boston Magazine 2007-2009. Like the others, this store offers new merchandise as well as vintage items 25 years and older. Poor Little Rich Girl is well-known for carrying a variety of designers and items, among them being dresses, shoes, hats, accessories and more.

Photo credits to Newbury-St.com and The Bostonist.

Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!