What it Means to Wear the Pants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

When I put on a pair of slacks, something about my attitude and self confidence changes. I feel important, I feel stared at, I feel official. I even feel sexy, in that “I’m grown up & fabulous” sort of way. There’s something about dressing up like a young professional that is both empowering and thrilling.

These days, I’ve got a lot of reasons to pull on a pair of slacks. I work part time in Undergraduate Admissions at Northeastern University, and I’m often the first face many prospective students see when they come to visit Northeastern for campus tours and information sessions. Because of this, I’m required to dress in business casual. While I’m a huge proponent of skirts and dresses, sometimes the cold Boston weather requires you to pull on a pair of pants. I love pairing my slacks with everything from bright button downs and warm cozy sweaters to my bright purple blazer and plain tops dressed up with my favorite bold, funky jewelry.

As a college senior, I’m constantly dressing to the nines for career fairs, meetings with career services and job interviews. Interview attire is tricky, but one thing always stays true: you can’t go wrong with black slacks and a blazer, and the LOFT pants I’ve recently aquired through the Her Campus/LOFT “Wear the Pants” partnership are a perfect part of that.

Even though they appear to be just a pair of plain black slacks, these pants really are so much more. When every girl shows up in jeans or leggings and you wear slacks instead, you show that you are not only classy, but classic. They say “Hey, I’m here and I’m a professional,” and when worn with heels they also scream “and I look killer while I’m at it.”

So whether you’re rocking them with a button down, blazer and your best pearls or a knit sweater and chunky necklace, wear your slacks with pride because one thing is for sure – you look fabulous!

Check out some other photos of me styling the LOFT pants I was given!

Love LOFT as much as Her Campus does? You’re in luck! We’ve got exclusive 15% off coupons for Northeastern students! Simply click here, then save and print the coupon!

Here is a list of all the LOFT stores in the Boston/Northeastern area:

Market Place at Faneuil Hall
200 State Street Boston, MA 02109
Tel. (617) 737-7840   

Prudential Center
800 Boylston Street Boston, MA 02199
Tel. (617) 262-9411

Cambridgeside Galleria
100 Cambridgeside Place Cambridge, MA 02141
Tel. (617) 621-7611

Atrium Mall
300 Boylston Street Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Tel. (617) 558-7199

Legacy Place
240 Legacy Place Dedham, MA 02026
Tel. (781) 461-0134

Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!