Study Central: The Top Places to Get Your Genius on

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Today marks the second to last day of classes, meaning finals are right around the corner. Finding a place to study can often be a challenge, so we’ve rounded up a few of our favorites (on and off campus) so you can get your study on in comfort.

The Pru

Going to the mall to study? You bet. It may seem counterproductive, but bringing your books to the mall can actually be an effective strategy. Head to Barnes and Noble and stake out a spot at one of the worktables or single desks. Alternate blocks of studying with something more enjoyable. For example, commit to two hours of economics reading, then reward yourself with a break. Grab a latte from the café and flip through a magazine or check out a new release from the nearest bookcase. If you’re up for it, take a stroll around the mall and try on that new pair of shoes you’ve been eyeing. Taking some time for yourself will boost your spirits and give you a mental break. Just be sure to set an alarm on your phone in case you lose track of time.

Club Snell

A common location for exam preparation, the library is nothing new. But you can take a fresh approach to how you delegate your time there. Although Snell is filled with other students, the environment can get a bit dull after a few hours. So think of ways to pump yourself up while still adhering to the low-noise policy. If music helps you get into the zone, make a study playlist and bring your iPod along. When you start to feel tired, pop in your headphones and press play. If you start to dose off, get up and take a short walk around the library. Consider going to the café and buying a cold drink or your favorite snack. Moving around will wake you up and help extend your study time.

The Curry Center

The CSC is a great option for logging your study hours. It houses large project tables, an array of food vendors, and a fully stocked bookstore for last minute supplies. With all of these resources under one roof, Curry is the place to be. If you get distracted easily, avoid the main floor, as you’ll be more likely to run into friends and start chatting. If you plan on being there for a while, make sure to grab a satisfying snack or two. This will help you stay focused on the task at hand.

Panera

Although it encompasses a popular social scene, Panera can be the perfect spot for a solo study session. Its interior is warm and cozy, a haven from the cold weather we’ve been having. Panera’s relaxing vibe will ease your pre-exam stress. You can do your studying at one of the many tables in the café, or even sitting in one of the large padded chairs downstairs. If you want company, consider going with a friend or two. Agree on a schedule ahead of time so you don’t get caught up in a convo instead of studying. When you’re feeling drained, take a break and chat with your friends. Talking over lunch will renew your energy just in time for your next study period.

Espresso Royale Caffe

A favorite among many students, ERC provides a classic coffee-shop atmosphere close to the main campus. The café also has delicious drinks, pastries and snacks to keep you going during your exam cram. With access to a free wireless network, customers can check email while sipping their morning coffee. If you have an online textbook or need to review notes via blackboard, Wi-Fi is a great option. But if you’ll be tempted to visit facebook during “study time,” leave your MacBook back in the room. Being diligent and staying focused will really pay off. Who knows? After conquering your study guides and review packets, you may actually have more free time than you think.

Dani Wong is a sophomore at the University of San Francisco, where she is double majoring in media studies and journalism. After her short story was published in a recent book, she decided to explore a new facet of writing and became involved with student newspapers and magazines. Between interning, taking classes, and exploring San Francisco, Dani is embracing the new opportunities that city life brings. Her true loves include traveling, taking photographs, playing sports and anything food related!
Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!