The Stages of Being Home Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Nothing beats the emotional release of walking out of your last exam of the semester, knowing that you are officially done with all things academic until January.  

Then it’s back to your room to pile all your remaining dirty laundry into a suitcase before heading for home.

Your normally grueling trip now consists of jamming to Mariah Carey, Michael Buble, and all the best Christmas movie soundtracks.  

Your arrival at home is met with a crowd of over-excited, slightly-intoxicated relatives that you haven’t seen since last year.

…accompanied by all their annual questions and comments about your appearance, career and love life.  

You’re immediately listing all the fun things you’re going to do with your siblings and cousins while you’re together.

But soon enough, the bickering sets in.

Nonetheless, you try to keep the arguments between you at least somewhat quiet — for the sake of the happy occasion. And you’re super happy to finally be with your pets again.

That first homemade dinner since Thanksgiving makes you wonder how you ever turned down Mom’s food as a kid.

You notice the spiked eggnog, and you realize you have no idea if it’s OK to drink in front of your parents yet.

At some point, you find a chance to escape the house and reunite with your hometown friends…

And you spend hours swapping war stories about the finals you’re all still recovering from.  

In the morning, you’re greeted with another beautiful holiday sight: a massive homemade family breakfast.

And you’re going to need your energy, for your full day ahead of Christmas shopping.  

You get to the mall early and make a game plan of all the stores you’re going to hit.

And you’re ready for the crowds.  

The next thing you know, it’s nighttime, you’re collapsed on your bed, surrounded by the day’s haul.  

As the big day gets closer, the Christmas carols get louder and more inescapable everywhere you go — and you alternate between loving and hating it.  

The continuous days of decorating at home get you all pumped full of Christmas joy…

Because the holidays are really an awesome time, and there’s no better place to be than home.

Eve Korte

Northeastern

Eve Korte - NEU freshman, communication studies major, currently studying abroad in Greece with the N.U.in Program and writing about it here!
Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: