Spring Trends and How to DIY Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Every spring, there are always some predictably obvious trends that walk down the runway (i.e. pastel anything, the immortal crop top, and the color white). Most of us probably have already heard about staple clothing like the white sundress, the crop top with a high waisted skirt combo, and pastel blazers. However, before you start to yawn, there are some newer trends that may not be staples that could be worn all of the time. Instead of paying tons of money for items you may not wear as much throughout the season and eventually may not like in a few years, you can easily DIY them into your wardrobe.

1. Athletic Clothing & AccessoriesBomber jackets that look like varsity jacket replicas, mesh, and baseball hats are all popular this spring.  While it may be hard to make your own jacket, it is easy to incorporate mesh or a baseball hat into your closet.

If you aren’t that sporty and don’t have any major teams you would like to represent, try recreating this rhinestone hat.

You can also make easy make a mesh tank top or t-shirt out of something old.

2. Spring SweatersBoth light, flowing sweaters in fun colors or patterns and thicker sweaters over skirts are popular for spring.

This is a cute way to transform a sweatshirt into a classy looking sweater without much work. You can use a lighter color or embellished sweater instead of just gray.

Embellished sweaters are popular this season as well, but can be pricey. However, there are ways to decorate plain sweaters that you already own.

3. Sheer FabricSheer can be major or subtle, depending on occasion and preference.  The first DIY idea is great for a nice of going out, while the second is best for going to class or co-op. Another cool DIY idea is to add black sheer trim to a pencil skirt.

4. IridescenceThis trend is loud and may not be for everyone. However, these DIY ideas are understated ways to incorporate the trend into your wardrobe without feeling like a class project of the solar system.

This first idea is a video on how to paint a clutch to make it shimmery. It would be good with a solid colored dress for going out.

You can also play up plain shoes for everyday wear.

Last, if you don’t want a full on iridescent shirt, you can add on to your bra and have it peek out under a low cut top or blazer when you go out.

5. Full SkirtsInstead of high–low or maxi skirts, full skirts are trending this season. These skirts are feminine without making you feel like you are at prom and flattering without being too revealing. They are great for work if you don’t like pencil skirts as well.

6. Graphic Sweater shirtsSweatshirts no longer have to scream: ‘I’m hungover and don’t care’ or ‘I was up late cramming for a test and too tired to pick out anything else’. They can now pull a whole look together with pretty designs. Here’s how to replicate one idea.

7. Floral AccessoriesAnd last, nothing screams spring like flowers. However, it’s often hard to find flattering floral shirts, pants, or skirts. They often feel too little girlish or too much like your great grandmother’s outfit. This spring, center your outfits on one statement accessory with a floral pattern.

This first idea upgrades a simple pair of flats to printed shoes. However, as the author points out, you can do this project to heels or wedges as well.

Collars were big this year, whether they were necklaces or attached to a shirt. If you are already a fan and want to take this idea into the warmer seasons, make a flower collar.

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (:
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!