Spring Cleaning: 6 Easy Steps How to Clean Your Dorm room the Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Spring is FINALLY in the air after the sun casually went on a six month vacation and left us with the most snow in Boston’s history. The time has come to hang up your winter coats and pull forward pastels and brightly colored clothing for spring! It is also the time of year when allergies come back in full force, so clearing your room of dust and dirt can make spring much more bearable for us allergy sufferers.

6 Easy Steps to a Clean Room

1. Throw Away

I can’t stress this enough. Less is more. De-cluttering your room is probably the fastest and easiest way to clean it up. You can also turn your old rags into someone else’s treasures by making a “goodwill pile,” which helps you de-clutter and someone else stay warm!

2. Organize

There is a time and place for everything, and it is now the time to put everything in your room into place! Not only does organizing make finding things faster, it looks better and you might find things you had previously thought you lost before.

3. Sanitize

When was the last time you thought of sanitizing your phone, computer, or desk? Probably never. Over the years and months things accumulate bad bacteria, so it’s important to give them a wipe down every once and a while. I’d wipe down my phone, computer, desk, and even chair. Yay for no germs!

4. Vacuum + Dust

Rooms accumulate dust fast! It’s important to bust out that vacuum, turn on your favorite dance song, and start up the vacuum. After that, grab a duster and make sure to get into small spots like behind your desk or headboard.

5. DIY

Once you have finished your cleaning spree, your room might look kind of empty and plain, but have no fear — This is where DIY crafting comes in. There are so many easy, cute, and fun ways to make your room unique. Here’s some Pinterest inspo!

6. Bathroom +Kitchen

Take all of the tips above and apply! Seriously though, your bathroom and kitchen are probably the dirtiest  parts of your apartment and most people overlook them completely. If you are too grossed out to even begin, don’t be scared — Thats why gloves were invented.

You can turn all of the boring cleaning business into some fun if you turn up some fun tunes, put on a funny show while you clean, or even “treat yourself” at the end of it all. The results you see with having a fresh apartment will be worth the fuss!

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: