Pretty Little Liars: Finale Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Last week, the PLL season finale premiered, which meant it was the first episode of the year where anything interesting actually occurred. Admit it, these finales are basically the reason you continue to watch the show season after season despite the lack of answers and excruciating poor life choices of the four girls. This whole season, glimpses of Ali alive have been seen in each episode, however she is still as enigmatic as ever before. In the last episode of season four, we finally got to find out what happened to Ali the night she disappeared. It turns out her own mother buried her alive.

Rest assured, we will probably never know why because Mrs. DiLaurentis’s dead body was seen being dragged into its own grave at the end of the episode. We also may never know who knocked out Ali with a rock before she was buried, since Mrs. DiLaurentis was the only known witness. The only two facts we know is that Ali confirmed Spencer was not the killer, and then Melissa reaffirmed this statement later on. Melissa seems to know more about the situation, and has told Mr. Hastings, but what exactly she said to him is unknown. My money for the real killer is actually on Spencer’s mother though. There needs to be a reason Mrs. DiLaurentis hates the Hastings. If she saw who hit her daughter, and it wasn’t Spencer, then there needs to be a reason Mrs. DiLaurentis was out to get vengeance on that family. Perhaps Veronica Hastings found out about the affair between Mrs. DiLaurentis and Mr. Hastings. That’s just a theory though.

Prior to this discovery, it was revealed that Mona helped Ali escape town and fake her death all those years ago in order to become A. However, its still uncertain if Mona was the one threatening Ali’s life or even the original A. She may have just had an unhealthy obsession with the girls and wanted Ali out of the picture. However, she seems too smart for that. Also, how would she have known all the girls secrets? I think Ali is more connected to Mona than she is letting on. We also found out that even though Ali was presumedly “dead” she kept an eye on the girls and protected them, even going as far as to kill Ian when he almost strangled Spencer in the first season. (This scene even came with its own ridiculous hashtag.) Near the end of the episode, the girls plus Ali finally come face to face with A again. This time the stalker has a gun and is wearing a mask. Ezra comes (no one know how he knew where they were) and attacks A, which allows Hanna to grab the gun. However, of course she doesn’t shoot A in any limb whatsoever, just commands the cold blooded killer to take off the mask. As expected, A gets away. It is discovered that Ezra is shot in the stomach and his name is cleared as A and Aria forgives him. Personally, I don’t think that Ezra’s story completely makes sense. It doesn’t explain the cameras or how creepy he was overall or why he was in A’s lair and didn’t say anything about it. I haven’t forgiven him yet.Next season, Ali is back and the group will have to adjust to this new dynamic. The girls will also be united in taking A down. However, who knows if we’ll ever actually find out who A is. Personally, I hope that this series ends in a way where all the pieces are fit together and the answers are not haphazard like the end of Gossip Girl. I think Marlene King has it all figured out though.

Till next season. xoxo -A

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (:
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!