Olivia Bowering, Freedom by Design

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.
When planning a summer filled with “hands on-experience” most students don’t take the words “hands-on” literally, but Olivia Bowering, a fourth year architecture student, spent her summer doing just that: building structures for the disabled–with her hands. Olivia is a leader in Freedom By Design (FBD), an all-female Northeastern leadership student group “committed to improving the lives of people who are financially or physically disabled, through building design.”

The Northeastern chapter is part of a national FBD organization that is affiliated with the American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS).  Members are responsible for fundraising, designing and building projects for their clients, at no cost to the family. Though the group formed in the fall of 2008, FBD started to gain momentum this summer when they completed their first project. The group worked in Roxbury on what they called, “The Samir House Project.” Through a professor and the disability commissioner of Boston, FBD was able to find a family in need. The family chosen has a member who is disabled and cannot leave his wheelchair; he lives a mostly bed-ridden life.

“He didn’t have any safe means of egress because he was in bed. The house had a temporary metal clip-on ramp, but it wasn’t up to code,” Olivia explained.

The architecture collegiettes™ took action and came up with ideas for a construct which would allow him to go outside while still remaining in his bed. The group spent the summer designing and building an accessible ramp that was up to code, and that was wide enough to fit a bed. FBD also built a deck attached to the son’s bedroom so he could get fresh air.
FBD members have the chance to work directly with registered architects and contractors.  During the design process, the group has a professional architect mentor to help ensure all requirements are met and that building permits can be obtained. A contractor is on-site for every day of building. All of these mentors are volunteers who give up their own free time to help FBD.

Olivia’s favorite part of FBD is the experience she gets in relation to her major. “It made it real life,” she said. “Architecture school is kind of abstract. It helped me to gain experience in the field–dealing with things like handicap code and taking real regulations into account.”

Olivia gladly gave up her summer weekends to work on the project and help those in need. “It was the best way to spend the summer, going on the bus carrying my hammer. I would get up early and come home after dinner all filthy,” Olivia said. She also recognized the effect of the family’s gratitude as a reward for her hard work.  “[It] was such a good feeling for all of us. [His mother] would check on us, bring us water and watermelon. She was so into the process with us.”

FBD is currently recruiting new members. They meet every other Thursday night and their next meeting will be on October 6th. Students from all majors are welcome, but due to insurance reasons students must become a member of AIAS to do on site construction.  The group is actively seeking new projects. Olivia’s goals for the semester include finding a new client and getting more people involved in FBD.

Olivia absolutely epitomizes Northeastern’s philosophy of experiential education. “People learn so much from taking part of this that they don’t learn in school.”